Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Tues Update

Mark left about midnight after a night of kicking alien ass on the PSP.Bought a game called "Coded Arms" and after hating it at first its growing on me.

Hit the Ladbrokes Limit tables to hunt down Juice and The Edge and found the Juice just on his way out.Wasn't staying long myself as its early to bed for Acornman these days but squeezed in half an hour of fine poker with one of my favourite London based bloggers.( ok I only know two!).

Limit Holdem really does seem like a different game to me though.I may have played aprox 500 hours of NL but I can't honestly say I've played more than 1/2 hour of Limit before my recent adventures.

I get 88 and call Juices raise.Now I know Juice is a "by the book" player so his raise must be respected and I put him on a decent hand thinking its either hit the flop or get out.Hit my set on a flop of 8 9 9 and called his flop bet.I waited to the river to raise but is this an automatic raise on the turn? It would have been against anyone else at the table but I reckon Juice can lay a hand down and I didn't want to scare him off.

Enjoyed playing at the .15-.30 limit table.I admire Juice and The Edge for having the discipline to have built their bankrolls at this level and for not taking too many shortcuts.

I had thought that low fixed limit games were mostly "best hand wins" poker but I even managed to sneak river bluff at one point.
Not the cadillac of poker but wether its the chat,the game or just the general relaxed atmosphere at the tables I'll be back for more.

I still hate not being able to get reads from betting patterns and not being able to raise enough to protect my hand but its much easier emotionally when you know your stack is not going to be on the line.

I think being home from my holiday and not having another one booked is starting to hit home.Hopefully a good blast of "Money for Nothing" and "Minnie the Moocher" will help clear the Tuesday blues away.I finish up on Fri 23rd Dec and apart from having to come in on the 29th I'll be off until the 9th Jan so always something to look forward too.

Got told about more jobs ( not mine) going "off-shore" last Friday and we have to start using a new system tomorrow which even the trainer apologised for and will just add to my workload.But hey they've spent a fortune on it and its even more "big brother" like than the last one so its gotta be good.

I asked about the increasing "them and us" feeling about our off shore colleagues but was warned to be careful as we have to embrace diversity.A good politically correct reason not to have a valid discussion. The underlying implication that race is the reason for my objection to this outsourcing made my blood boil but nothing I say will change anything so I didn't pursue it although its a fact that more and more UK companies are bringing jobs back here due to poor customer service abroad).

Waiting for a call to hear how my Gran is.She was getting test results today and the Doc asked the family to attend which is worrying.She's in her 80's and her memory is going a wee bit but she's the only grandparent I have left so I hope she'll be ok. edit:just heard she is ok.She's blacked out a couple of times and while they could operate on her heart she doesn't want that.I'll take Step A down to see her later in the week.

My other Gran died in '89 and both my Grandpas when I was young too.One of my dearest wishes in life would be to be able to meet up with both my Grandpas as although I've got great childhood memories of them I'd love to have known them as adults.

Got a bit of a sore throat.Guess what the non smoking Mrs A blames that on?! I just hope its not the start of a cold or flu.I hate all that nose running and stuff.Never helps my poker game either or makes me particularly well disposed to my ranting and raving public at work.

Ok tomorrows entry will be far more cheerful.....

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, 19 October, 2005, Blogger Maxwell Adams said...

Mr Acorn,

It seems that I keep missing you at the Ladbrokes tables.

What happenned with the Juice hand? You left it at quite a cliff hanger!!!???

Good luck,

The Edge

 
At Wednesday, 19 October, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Hope to catch you there soon Mr Edge.

On the river Juice bet,I raised,he called and I won with my trips.

Not sure if I should have raised the turn but happy to take the pot down.

cheers,
Acornman

 
At Wednesday, 19 October, 2005, Blogger Juice said...

Im a "by the book player" am i? :-)

I wouldnt necessarily say that but I do think that you need structure to your game. Its like total football. Everyone can play everywhere but the shape of the team remains the same. Thats like my poker strategy. The basic shape of my play is the same but i make adjustments according to players, pot sizes, passive/agressive tables etc etc.

There is just less gut feeling decisions in limit then nl i think.

Could you please post a graph of your bank roll over say the past few months. that would be interesting.

 
At Wednesday, 19 October, 2005, Blogger Juice said...

oh did you see henry's goal last night to equal ian wrights goal scoring record. Ourside of the boot. curved around the keeper into the corner. Class.

 
At Wednesday, 19 October, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Henrys goal was a peach.Outside of the boot.Pure quality.

I thought you'd take the "by the book" bait.Just kidding mate.At the levels we play at ABC by the book poker is usually enough to make a profit.

Your maybe right about there being more gut instinct in NL but then NL is an art and Limit a skill so they say.

I wouldn't know where to start to do a graph.I'm really not very pc or net savvy at all.I do agree it would interesting.

I'm going to try and get some figures together for my 1yr aniversary on the 31st.So far its looking ok but I play NL and theres still 12 days to go.Plenty of time to blow a bankroll....!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document