Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Safety helmets on....

We're going to play conkers.Yes apparently all childeren taking part in this years Conker championships will have to wear a crash helmet for safety reasons.The dangers of playing with conkers can never be overestimated it seems.What a load of old crap.Everyone trying to cover their backsides in case they get sued.They have also banned kids from bringing their own conkers in case they've been doctored.When we used to play at school ( without helmet,goggles etc cos we were wild) half the fun was soaking it in vinegar and baking it in the oven to make it harder than concrete and ready for battle.

Apologies for jumping from something so trivial to the deaths of over 20000 people but the pictures from the earthquake in Asia are shocking and very very sad.Why can't there be one disaster fund in the world to deal with all these natural disasters rather than an individual appeal every time which then has to wait on money being collected and finally distributed while all the time people with real needs are having to wait and suffer? I just hope the aid arrives more quickly than was seen after the Tsunami and Katrina to give just two examples.

Ok another subject hop to last nights poker session which was fairly short at 45 minutes as Mark was coming up for our usual night of gaming.Pokerrooms .25nl was again the destination and a quick $22 was made mostly on the back of calling a $1 raise with 66 and hit my set.The original raiser said "nh" but it was a loose call and one made based on the sound theory that I hadn't hit a set all weekend and for a $1 I'd take a shot.Fairly sure he had AK and missed despite him leading out on the flop and turn.

Time to mention a fine new blog I've linked.http://meekspbr.blogspot.com/ is not actually written by a person but by a bankroll! Funny and well worth a look.

Mark then arrived and we played Ridge Racer and Virtua Tennis on my PSP until midnight when Mrs A came back from work.

Mrs A is about to try and quit smoking.I got her duty free allowance on the way back from Gran Canaria and she is on her last pack after smoking 30-40 per day since she was a teenager.( and I'm not going to mention that wasn't yesterday!). I bought her a book by Allen Carr called "Easy way to stop smoking" which has helped a few heavy smokers in my office quit so we'll see how it goes.I don't smoke during the day ( well one in the morning since I came back my hols) but I aint ready to give up my nightime smoke yet.Hey I hardly drink unless on holiday or a night out and we're all due some pleasures in life.Besides I fear my poker game may not be the same!

Arghhh.Just heard from my letting agency that the new window is going to cost £148!!! Maybe I'll see if he's happy just having it single glazed in the living room...

Couple of wee stories from The Herald diary column:

THE Ronnie Barker sketch about fork handles being confused for four candles struck a chord with Sandy Crawford of Cathcart. He feels his Glasgow accent may have been too difficult for the waiter in a cafe at Vancouver airport the other week. Sandy and his wife decided to share a tuna sandwich, so Sandy added at the end of his order "two plates please".The server disappeared before triumphantly returning with a handful of toothpicks.

Perhaps just missing the point slightly was the young girl outside Cineworld in Glasgow, looking at the film posters, and telling her pal: "I really enjoyed Johnny Depp in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.""I preferred the book," said her pal."Did Johnny Depp play Willy Wonka in that, too?" asked the first girl.


Heres a cracker from Country star Chris Cagles website.The Herald diary wrote it up yesterday and the song suggestions were ideas sent in by readers. I feel kinda sorry for the poor guy but it does tickle my funny bone.....

To All My Loyal Music Fans:
"As many of you are aware, I had been anxiously awaiting the addition of a new baby to my life. The baby has been born and both mother and child are in good health. Since the birth, however, we have discovered that biologically, the child is not mine.
As excited as I was about becoming a new father, my disappointment is equally as strong. So out of respect for all that are involved, please allow this situation to remain private and know that I will not be commenting further on this very personal matter. I'm thanking you in advance for your kind cooperation and understanding."
Chris Cagle

The Herald then suggest some new songs for him to record "My Son Calls Another Man Daddy" by Hank Williams. But Chris may also wish to record the country classics "I Still Miss You Baby, But My Aim's Gettin' Better" and the memorable "I'm So Miserable Without You, It's Like Having You Here."


Here's another fine link to make you smile.Not for those offended by swearing or at work.Its a swearing xylophone. I particularly liked "Gies yer Jaicket" which demonstrates the many different phrases a Glasgow ned ( chav,thug etc) would steal your jacket. Go to http://www.limmy.com/ then "playthings"
for that and his other crazy stuff.

www.limmy.com/playthings/xylophone/

Ok no more for today.What do you want for nothing? Rubber bisceeeeeeeeeeet!!

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Best wishes to your wife. Will the blog be more interesting over the next few weeks?..lol

Amusing stuff..thanks for the laughs..

 
At Wednesday, 12 October, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks Veneno I think she's going to need all the best wishes she can get!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document