Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Smokin' poker

Enjoyed last night.Spent most of it playing project sno-blind on the pS2 with Mark.I was never a big gamer as a kid although I did like Daley Thomsons decathalon on the Spectrum 48k!! I was
off work for 3 months a few years ago and my friend Wee Stu ( got another friend called Stu who's 6ft5) lent me his ps2 and Medal of Honor and until I discovered online poker I did quite a bit of game playing.I only like FPS games though and even after hours of gameplay I'm still not much use at them.I think they should have more settings.Hard,Medium,Easy and Simpleton mode where the bad guys ask permission to shoot at you and swearing loudly results in instant death for all enemies in the vicinity.

Played a bit of poker after Mark left at 12am and after my usual bad start I ended up about even after 1/2hr of play. No big hands to report but I did enjoy one move I made where I bluffed a player who had just been bluffed in the hand before.I was all in for a $7 ( only .25nl) and he folded and I showed him my crap hand.Don't often do that but its fun.
One guy was telling another how badly he was playing which to me is pretty daft.I mean its.25nl not the WSOP and interestingly the guy getting the abuse said he was just playing for fun and to get off his case.This may be one of the reasons .25nl is more lucrative than .50nl.Plenty of fish just playing for fun and happy to call raises with only a couple of outs.I mean I play for fun too
but its no fun losing money and I play to win.I'd love to build the bankroll and play $2nl then $4nl etc.I already feel comfortable at $1nl but I need to be patient enough to build a bankroll that can cope with the swings there.

I googled Standard deviation and its pretty complicated stuff.Way too complicated for my simple brain. Apparently the lower the better and mine is 56 bb ( big bets) per hour which is very high.I'm not a maniac!!!!

Got a great sleep last night for the first time in weeks.Mrs A and Step A are back early tomorrow morning and I'm looking forward to seeing them again.We'll get Nacho tomorrow night and I'll have my wee family back!

Going to book a holiday very soon.16 nights in Gran Canaria from Sept 17th.This will be our 6th trip there.I nearly killed myself in a car accident in Feb 2000 not long after meeting Mrs A ( at a millenium party) and after that I decided I was going to live life to the full.( so now I sit on my ass playing poker all night....lol). Been to Tenerife,Majorca,Ibiza,Turkey,Egypt and even a caravan park in Bonny Scotland since then as well as countless trips to Amsterdam.
Not been to the USA since I went with my Mum,Dad,Gran and sister in '99 but would love to go back.Got friends who've just moved from the Dam to Florida so hopefully next year we can go
and visit.I remember going to the Mcdonald drive thru and the poor girl having to get the manager because she couldn't understand my accent.Has she never seen Sean Connery as Bond? I won't mentions Mel Gibsons accent in Braveheart.Hilarious. "Ahhh luv yooooooo".


Now to my smokin' poker theory that explains my poor starts in sessions.I smoke spliffs during most of my sessions and I think it helps be play more patiently and make sit easier to tune into betting patterns and get reads on players.When I begin my session I'm far too eager to see some action and get off to a good start.What sort of frame of mind is best to start a game in anyway?
I used to think an agressive "Going to war" frame of mind was best but after 6 months of play maybe "Going to fold" would be better.In the only live game I played in I never smoked and went out with a crying call when my 2 pair was obviously beaten by the old rock who'd made his straight but my curiousity got the better of me and out I went.
When I make the final table of the WSOP I hope they let me roll one up! "You let me light this and its gonna be all over baby".....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document