Friday, November 18, 2005

The weekend has landed

Got a load to write about today so as Willwonka would say please fasten your seat belts.I loved that phrase because it sums up my No Limit sessions perfectly.

First some fantastic non poker news.My sister had her 3 month cancer check and is clear which was a real punch the air moment when I got the text as I was driving home last night.Going with her fiancee to the kilt hire shop on Sunday to get fitted out for their wedding next May.

I've only ever worn a kilt once before at another wedding and after a few drinks I'm sure I'll be happy to answer those asking if I'm wearing it in the traditional Scottish manner.( no underwear!).Don't worry I promise not to post the photos...

Before that on Sunday I've got my ticket for the midden/piggery/meccano set/Potato bowl/Scumdome for the Old Firm league game on Saturday 12.30pm.I love going there with 7000 other Gers fans and sticking it to them for 90 mins win,lose or draw.It must be one of the most bitter rivalries in sport and while I've got plenty of cel*ic supporting friends that'll all be forgotten for 90 minutes when the game kicks off.One of these days I'll explain the roots of the hatred that exists between the Champions and them but I don't have a spare month just now!


They do say form goes out the window for these games but the Champions are on such a bad run we aren't expected to get anything from the game.Fight,passion and 100% commitment are the least I expect.We shall see.

I've said before I don't consider myself a gambler but I've put a few ££ on Barcelona to beat Real Madrid in the 2nd biggest football game of the weekend.Its a clever ploy though because I intend to give the betting slip to Mrs A to help make the news that we'll be watching the 'El Gran Clasico' on Sat night at 7pm! I don't usually mind who wins but it should be an amazing game.Viva da Barca!



To the poker and it was yet another night of highs and lows.Bought in for $50 to a 6 max .50-$1 and noticed one player raising almost every pot.Slowed her down a bit when I called her river bet with Ace high and beat her Ace high with my better kicker.I dont play poker with my ego at the table but I had to show I wasn't there to be pushed around either.

I then lost a big hand with KK v AA for the second time in a week followed by my QQ getting busted by a runner runner straight when I got the fish all in with J10 on a 10 8 8 flop.I was not a happy acorn to see the 7 on the turn and 9 on the river but told myself that its moments like that that make or break sessions.Sure I could run into many more bad beats in a row due to variance but so long as I was playing well there was no need to panic.I even replied "lol" to the clown who wrote "ouch" in the chat box after that one.I would never give hand out abuse to the fish as I'd hate the table to think I was still trying to recover from that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.I prefer to show strength and to have them questioning themselves as to whether they would be dealing with a beat like that aswell as I appeared to be.

I left the table having lost my $50 buy in and in serious contemplation mode and the one thing that struck me was that while I was frustrated at dropping $50 in terms of my overall bankroll it was merely a minor blip and it was a real lightbulb moment for me which drove home the importance of bankroll managment and playing within your roll.No need to chase or get tilty when you have plenty in reserve.Blogging helps too.I've been tempted to take the $500 at Pokerroom and take a shot at $10 or even $20nl but the thought of dropping that in one session and having to explain it here has stopped me so far! I think writing a poker blog has helped my game in a big way.Not as much as reading other blogs but while I may play a couple of loose hands after a bad beat I usually get back on track.Must be a pride thing.

Anyway I bought into another table and finally hit some cards.The main one being when my AA held up v QQ and JJ when we got it all in preflop.I actually posted the AA by mistake last night on my hammer post.I like to cut n paste 'em so I can disect the hand later but didn't mean to leave it on the post.The hammer hand was fantastic and I probably have to thank Juice for it because I'd sat down at a full ring .10-.20nl table with him by then and when I got the 72 at my 6 max table I knew he'd enjoy the tale if it worked.

Left the 6 max table up $95 and made $15 at Juices table for an overall profit of $60 for the night which after the start I had certainly put a smile on my face.

The German market is back in the city centre today so ( apologies to Aussie Dave) I may purchase some more Kangaroo burgers for dinner tonight.They've got wild boar and spring bok too aswell as the famous Aberdeen Angus.I do love my burgers and steaks.

Oh and I mentioned I'd been to see a man about a dog earlier in the week and Juice asked if I was buying a new dog.Well it was another way of saying I scored some fine herbs but I'll need to be careful as they are particularly pungent and while I always smoke n play n reap the benefits when I get a really good batch my bankroll takes a wee hit ( much like me) until I get used to it.

I'll maybe write a more detailed post one day on exactly how I feel it helps my game but for now I'd like to say thanks for reading and good luck at the tables.Hope to see as many folk as possible on Sunday at Pokerstars for the sng tourney....

9 Comments:

At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger Jordan said...

No "might" about it. I wanna hear how herb helps your game!

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger GaryC said...

Who are these people you two call "Herb?"

G

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

That post will be soon Jordan.When I can be bothered man....


He's a big green smelly bassa G and I'm always happy to accomodate him...

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger GaryC said...

BTW, I meant to tell you earlier, Congratulations on your sisters' news. It tickles me to death when somebody beats that bastard, cancer.

See you this weekend.

G

 
At Friday, 18 November, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Yeah G it was a mighty relief mate.
See you Sunday.
Acornman

 
At Saturday, 19 November, 2005, Blogger Juice said...

3-0.

nuff said.

:-)

 
At Saturday, 19 November, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Rangers till I die. Nuff said.

 
At Sunday, 20 November, 2005, Blogger Juice said...

congrats to your sister.

why have you never got to wear a kilt more? I thought it was teh done thing?

 
At Sunday, 20 November, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thx Juice.
My wee nobbly knees and kilts are not a good mix Juice therefore only at weddings etc do they make an appearance.

Davee glad you don't mind me eating Skippy!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document