Thursday, June 08, 2006

Floaters

Mrs A was working last night so after helping Step A with her homework I hit the tables and began by coming 2nd in a $5 sng with Juice.One player was taking it all far too seriously and I managed to pull a reverse hoy on him when I raised enough with KK to mean he would be left with one chip if he called which he did.( he lost)

Juice and I played another sng after that and I got a bit frisky with AK soooted early doors and along with another villan with AK lost my stack to QQ.All good fun and after Juice went to bed I was looking to scratch my 6 max itch but the only tables available at Laddys seemed to be full of fairly solid players so it was off to Party for me.I’ve only got $160 at Party so decided to venture down to the $25 nl buy in 6 max tables.Never managed to get much together at my first table and left $9 down.

Left my second table $3 up and much more in tune with the $25nl way of playing.I did have a bit of fun making an $8 ( pot size) bluff with nothing on a scary looking board against the only player at the table I reckoned would be able to actually fold a hand.(not always a guide but the villan did have nearly 3 times the buyin so I assumed he wasn’t a total donkey).He said he had JJ ( Q high board) but that too many cards beat him.I wanted to type “that was the reason I bluffed” but was just happy to pull it off even if it was only for a few $.

That bluff was a result of a bit of floating.I’d never heard of the term until I read a recent post by Doubleas which basically explained that it’s the act of calling a raise with nothing and then trying to take down the pot.Usually check calling all the way before a large river reraise. I’m not a big floater ( hmmm a floater is a term used in Glasgow to describe a wee jobbie that wont flush away) but against the right opponents ( very rare at $25nl) I can see it being a useful tool.

Only 1 more day to go until the World Cup finally kicks off in Germany at 5pm Uk time.Obviously I’m disappointed Scotland are not there and haven’t qualified for a major tourney since France ’98 but the Scottish team is improving fast and while Euro 2008 may be out of reach ,the next World Cup in South Africa has to be the aim.

It should be a cracking tournament and my tips to win it are the favourites Brazil,simply because they ooze class with Holland as my outside bet.

I’d like to see USA ( ex Ranger Claudio Reyna plays for them) , Trinidad and Tobago ( big Marv plays for them) or Brazil ( just because they are poetry in motion) win it.I drew Togo in the work sweep but they’re gonna have to suckout big time and hit some 1 outers to have any chance.

Of course I’ll also be cheering on whoever England are playing at every opportunity mainly due to Scotlands fierce football rivalry with the Auld Enemy but also because the English commentators and media are so damn arrogant.Last nights discussion was whether Rooney ( out injured if your livving on Mars) would get back in team at the Semi final stage if his replacement ( Crouch) has scored 10 goals by then and that’s before even the first match has kicked off. Germany to beat them on penalties again…..please!

Auf Wiedersehen!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document