Monday, November 28, 2005

Somtimes it just aint meant to be...

Maybe I'm sick but I just left the table and laughed for 5 minutes.I'd just sat down in the BB with my $50 when I look up and see 77.Ok nothing to get excited about but I''ll call any raise up to $3 so I know I'm gonna be in a pot until like 7 other times out of eight I miss my set and probably fold unless its headsup and I put him/her on AK/AQ.

Flop comes 8 J 7 rainbow and I'm first to fire.I almost always slow play sets especially if its raised preflop.Gives me the chance to check raise or if the board isn't too scary just call and hope to push the pressure point ( copyright DoubleAs ) after the turn card.

I decide to mix it up and lead out for $4.Possible straight draw on board. I'm hoping he has a high pair.I'm slightly worried though as he has a big stack and you don't tend to get that by making 2*bb raises preflop.JJ was a real possibilty too in my mind but when he raised me to $8 the alarm bells faded into the night ( out the cupboard anyway) and I reraised him to $15 and called when he put me all in.

By now I was hoping for 2 pair ( 78?) but alas the jammy sod had flopped a straight with 910!

Nice hand Sir and cheerio $50..

Well $45 after I won $5 at a .25 table warming up.

Seriously it was funny.I'd left the .25 table having sampled the play just knowing I probably had a years progress on most of the players.I don't think its over arrogance to claim you can beat the 25c tables.Gotta be careful about feeling good about your game.Lady luck has a way of sorting that out.

Still very much a little acorn but while it would always do well to remember that with the luck factor the edge over the fish is still just an edge and not a sledgehammer.

Confidence is fine though and no tilt monster in sight.( not played another hand yet though.)

I can usually handle bad luck its my own bad plays that drive me nuts.


Anyway back to the .25 tables and one example of poor play was when I called from the small blind with 84 off.( 7 callers, it was only 10c).Flop came J 7 4 and I'm about to fold my bottom pair when I see a 25 cent bet called 5 times.I've got a 24% chance to hit 6 outs so I call and hit my 8 on the turn.With so many in the pot I want it now not after someone with A8 hits 2 pair so I bet $2 and win from the preflop raiser who goes all in for his last $2.

Ok I've stopped laughing.I'm away to bang my head off a wall....

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Rod said...

I would never slow play a set. One thing is that if you bet you will probebly get raised so you can put in another raise.

Play a set fast and aggressive. Slow playing will tell the leader you actually have something you are proud of and will put him on the defensive in the next rounds.

Playing it fast will make the aggressor angry and you can get more in the put because he thinks you are only a bully.

One other rottin rule - if you lose with a set you better lose a lot. I hate that one LOL

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Dave said...

I know exactly how those first hands go. I can't recall how many times I've sat down at a table and within the first two hands I get a great starting hand only to end up losing big to a hand that didn't seem possible. It's rough starting out in the hole and having to climb back out. It makes you less aggressive for sure.

 
At Tuesday, 29 November, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Tourney should be on Sunday 9pm but I'll confirm later in the week.

Thanks for the comment Grinder.Good advice.At least I never broke the rule!
I'll add your link too if thats ok.

It was tough Chipper but while I'm not turning this into a bad beat blog its great to able to get it out my system by posting about it here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document