Friday, January 06, 2006

Dadi Special Omalympics Tourney

First please follow the link to Jordans blog to read more about the latest blogger/reader tourney at 'Stars. I've never played Omaha and with the holidays being over next week I won't get away with staying up till 2am to play before work so I won't make it but I wish I could as the last one was great fun and I found some really brilliant new blogs through it. ( Lady Falcon for one)


Reading Jordans blog about feeling sick of poker and I was feeling exactly the same last night.Didn't start playing till after 11pm and even then I was wondering why as I was kind of expecting to get whupped again by lady luck and my own weak plays.Lost $38 at Laddys.Half from yet another suckout and half from trying to push too hard and simply being a mile off my game.

Moved to Pokerroom and fired up a fixed limit table.In part I just felt totally bored and sick of NL and I'd read Drizz's post about relearning limit holdem and was temporarily inspired to try it for a change.Lasted 15 mins but won $6 when my AK hit and held up and I actually enjoyed the change of scenery.Well for 15 mins anyway!

Played a Laddys $2.50 turbo Mtt and finished 26th for a whopping $4.91 pay out! Veneno 's latest post includes fine mtt cashes by The Chief.I wonder if my $2.41 net win will get a mention .lol

I also read the Grinders post where he mentioned not playing unless there was a bonus being earned.I've always been a bit lazy when it comes to chasing bonuses but now I've made Laddys $100k freeroll it seems daft not to play at Interpoker where I've now done 88% of my $200 sign up bonus.( 10 zillion raked hands)

Logged on to a £.25-.50 nl 6 max table and left with a decent profit when the table seemed to stagnate.

I was very tired and very wasted by this point so moved down to a £.15-.30nl 6 max table and ended up having a blast with a couple of villans in the chat box.I usually ignore the chat but it was a laugh.Got involved in a crazy hand with them and for the first time at a table I mentioned the blog and that I'd post it here so hello Polar and Stig if you do drop by.

Got my first troll comment today but fairly sure that was from a sad bitter celt*c fan in Scotland. No tims in Europe eh.Ha.


Ok here's the hand that had the table wondering of we'd won Inter's bad beat jackpot.My quad two's beaten by quad Queens.Sadly Stig looked up the rules and it has to be Quad Jacks or better that get beaten to qualify.Strangely I was almost certain Stig had the Q but knew I may get something out the side pot.Would have been one hell of a laydown if Stig had a bigger stack and had pushed.Would I have laid it down? Would I fuck....!

Left the first hand in because I think it was the one Polarsun asked me what I had and I couldn't remember.Pretty sure this was the one he said he had AK.Pity it hadn't been AA!


------HAND 20------
Game #1299794284: Hold'em NL (£0.15/£0.25) - 2006/01/05 - 23:24:07 (ET)
Table "Mirzam" Seat 6 is the button.
Seat 1: Zagga (£30.65 in chips)
Seat 2: The_Stig (£3.50 in chips)
Seat 3: And311054 (£15.90 in chips)
Seat 4: GINGERICH (£12.60 in chips)
Seat 6: POLARSUN (£60.13 in chips)
Zagga: posts small blind £0.15
The_Stig: posts big blind £0.25
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Zagga [9d Ah]
And311054: folds
GINGERICH: calls £0.25
_cadoi_ joins the table at seat #5
POLARSUN: raises to £1
Zagga: calls £0.85
The_Stig: folds
GINGERICH: folds
----- FLOP ----- [6d 3h 9c]
Zagga: checks
POLARSUN: bets £3.50
Zagga: calls £3.50
----- TURN ----- [6d 3h 9c][8h]
Zagga: checks
POLARSUN: bets £4.50
Zagga: calls £4.50
----- RIVER ----- [6d 3h 9c 8h][9s]
Zagga: bets £8
POLARSUN: folds
Returned uncalled bets £8 to Zagga
Zagga: doesn't show hand
Zagga collects £17.60 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot £18.50 Main pot £17.60 Rake £0.90
Board [6d 3h 9c 8h 9s]
Seat 1: Zagga (small blind) collected £17.60
Seat 2: The_Stig (big blind) folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 3: And311054 folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 4: GINGERICH folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 6: POLARSUN (button) folded on the River



------HAND 21------
Game #1299794294: Hold'em NL (£0.15/£0.25) - 2006/01/05 - 23:25:54 (ET)
Table "Mirzam" Seat 1 is the button.
Seat 1: Zagga (£39.25 in chips)
Seat 2: The_Stig (£3.25 in chips)
Seat 3: And311054 (£15.90 in chips)
Seat 4: GINGERICH (£12.35 in chips)
Seat 5: _cadoi_ (£5 in chips)
Seat 6: POLARSUN (£51.13 in chips)
The_Stig: posts small blind £0.15
And311054: posts big blind £0.25
_cadoi_: posts big blind £0.25
----- HOLE CARDS -----
dealt to Zagga [2h 2c]
GINGERICH: folds
_cadoi_: checks
POLARSUN: calls £0.25
Zagga: calls £0.25
The_Stig: calls £0.10
And311054: checks
----- FLOP ----- [2s Qd Qh]
The_Stig: checks
And311054: checks
_cadoi_: checks
POLARSUN: checks
Zagga: checks
----- TURN ----- [2s Qd Qh][2d]
The_Stig: checks
And311054: checks
_cadoi_: checks
POLARSUN: checks
Zagga: checks
----- RIVER ----- [2s Qd Qh 2d][Qc]
The_Stig: bets £3 and is all-in
And311054: folds
_cadoi_: folds
POLARSUN: calls £3
Zagga: raises to £12
POLARSUN: calls £9
----- SHOW DOWN -----
Zagga: shows [2h 2c] (Four of a kind, Twos, Queen high)
The_Stig: shows [7h Qs] (Four of a kind, Queens, Seven high)
POLARSUN: mucks hand [Js 4s]
Zagga collects £17.10 from Side pot #1
The_Stig collects £9.75 from Main pot
----- SUMMARY -----
Total pot £28.25 Main pot £9.75 Side pot #1 £17.10 Rake £1.40
Board [2s Qd Qh 2d Qc]
Seat 1: Zagga (button) showed [2h 2c] and won (£17.10) with Four of a kind, Twos, Queen high
Seat 2: The_Stig (small blind) showed [7h Qs] and won (£9.75) with Four of a kind, Queens, Seven high
Seat 3: And311054 (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 4: GINGERICH folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: _cadoi_ (big blind) folded on the River
Seat 6: POLARSUN mucked [Js 4s]

You know I read back the last bit joking about how I would have called and it got me thinking.I'm not being clever but Stig had £3 left and had played a tight game with a short stack so my read putting him on a Q was right. If he'd gone all in for £50 would I have called? I think so despite my read and that's been part of my recent problem.Not trusting my own reads and acting on them.Almost as if sometimes you expect the negative and when your read tells you the outcome will be bad its almost as if I have to call to confirm which in turn makes me feel even worse and more likely to repeat.Don't know if that makes sense but its dangerous as it must be the kind of feeling complusive losing gamblers get when they know a move will cost them but go ahead anyway as they almost get a perverse pleasure from it.

Here's a quote from a Cardplayer interview with Daniel Negreanu I liked.

RB: What is it about the big-game players that puts them on such a higher level than the rest of the poker world?

DN: At that level, everybody understands the fundamentals. It comes down to psychological warfare, discipline, and emotional stability. It’s why Phil Hellmuth could never win; he’s not emotionally stable enough to fade the huge losses. You have to be able to lose $200,000 and say to yourself, “Well, it happens. I’ll be all right.” Phil Ivey said it best: “When you start thinking that what you just lost is a house or a car, you’re dead.”


Ok I was writing about losing a car payment yesterday and not the price of an actual car ( !!) but on a smaller scale I need to change my thinking a bit.I've only really got into the 6 max since August and I'm probably still getting used to the natural swings that occur.Being able to blog about them and read others successes and failures has certainly helped me.

Got to keep the focus on decisions and not results.Get the first right and long term the results will follow.



I don't imagine she'll ever see this as my blog breaks at least the first 4 rules but I still enjoy reading Felicia's blog . Here's the first 6.
1) No bad beat stories ( see last 2 weeks)
2) No hand histories ( see above)
3) Don't whine about losses. ( see reply to num 1)
4) Don't post pics of kids or pets.( Quite right.Nacho should have his own blog and it would probably get more hits than mine)
5) give your opinion.( never afraid to do that)
6) Are you a poker journal or not? ( poker n life.Thats my excuse for the dog pics)


Felicia wrote she generated a lot of anger and hysteria with the above.Why? Each to his or her own.She's a fine writer and if thats what she thinks works I can respect that,make up my own mind and take or leave her advice.No harm done.

Back to the poker and worked my buyin from £25 to £75 before hitting the sack about 5am $105 up in total for my nights work and feeling a bit happier with my game.

Lets see if that continues....

11 Comments:

At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Felicia :) said...

I was kind of joking about the "hysteria" part, lol. Just remember, I don't claim to speak for the world in general, just what I, personally think makes a good poker blog. Why everyone seems to think that I speak for the world is beyond me. I just wish I had that kind of power, lol.

And yes, I scrolled through the hand history!

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger GaryC said...

See there AcornMan, everybody reads your blog. I told you so.

Nice job,

G

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

I think that felicia is quite angry!

I think posting bad beats + Analysis+ what you want to improve on is a good way to improve.

You shouldnt post too many bad beats in the same way dumping 15 hand histories straight into a post is tough reading. It isnt interesting, shes right but if you want to reflect your poker life you should try to give a balanced account.

In the same way that keeping a BR chart helps you keep track of your progress a blog helps you improve by letting you look at your own hands and think about what you could do better. Its a tool for improvement.

I dont have a problem posting about my life either. Poker is alot of fun but ultimately its only part of our lives. I think its not great play that makes someone reads a blog its the personality of the person writing the blog. People like to know what you are getting up to as it humanises the blog. For example when Gary C lost his Mate last year. I think if you write poker poker poker poker and get caught up in the technical analysis it would be a very dry blog.


Just write for yourself i say and enjoy it.

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

p.s I dont think she likes 7-2 off players either :-(

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Ooops.Caught!

Thanks for stopping by Felicia.I always enjoy your stuff even if I don't always agree.

Glad you made it through the hand histories. Well worth it I'm sure ;-)


Better conform to rule number 8 by thanking Garyc and Juice for the their replies too....

Cheers G and good stuff from you too Juice.

Have a lucky weekend.

 
At Friday, 06 January, 2006, Blogger Felicia :) said...

I scrolled "over" the hand history, lol.

And yeah, juice, if I'm angry, then all is right with the world ;)

 
At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At Sunday, 08 January, 2006, Blogger TripJax said...

more readers than you think huh acorn. that is always a cool thing to learn...

thanks for pimping the dadi...hate you can't make it but 100% understand.

 
At Tuesday, 10 January, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Yep this blogging lark never fails to amaze sometimes Trip!

Good luck at Dadi.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document