Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Gambling Man

I read an excellent quote from Layne Flack interview at Pokerworks where he says that many players simply can't handle the losses and failures due to their pride getting in the way.I expect that's why so many fish are convinced poker is rigged.It can't possibly be that they don't have the skills or emotional strength ,therefore it must be fixed in some way.

I've no doubt I need to be stronger too in the face of repeated beats and crappy cards and in truth it's a factor which has probably prevented me attempting to move up to $100 nl and beyond on a more permanent basis.

I think sometimes I also need to be less critical of myself and accept that sometimes there are no sure things in poker.It may be a calculated gambling but it's still gambling none the less.

Last night for example I won a buy-in at Party with QQ v JJ.The flop was low and ragged and I kept firing until the chips came my way.If he had flopped trips does that mean I'm a donkey for my play?

I suppose it's never as simple as above as I've not mentioned that the villain had lost a few big pots and had rebought.He also seemed the fishiest player at the table and seemed likely to be overplaying a pair lower than mine or AQ/AK.

I am a donkey (ok just a little one seeing as I'm being less harsh on myself!)for losing a buy-in at a 'Stars cash table a short time later after a blind steal went wrong.

I raised with A4 in the small blind and the bb called.The flop came 4 Q Q and I led out thinking I may be ahead anyway.He called and I fired again after a 10 on the turn.When the Ace came on the river I reckoned that I was good and as only KJ or any hand with a Queen beat me that I would bet out again.I was put all in for my last $17 and despite taking time to consider it, and despite the villains actions screaming "I have a queen", I talked myself into the call and he showed Q10 for the boat.

I went back to Party and won another $15 to give me a tiny profit for my nights play.I'm now down to $97 at 'Stars and will probably gamble ( that word again!) on a few $16 turbos and see how they go.

My biggest gamble of the day will be away from the tables though.I've promised Mrs A another driving lesson.....

Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

At Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, Blogger David said...

Hello my friend. I want to tell you that I've also been in your situation. I thought that poker is my game and I played and played. I was blinded from a few victories but eventually I lost all my money and much more. I had a gambling problem but I didn't notice that back then. Please don't go in my way, for your own safety...

 
At Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and the alternative league table

the_cloud71......59

stephenrhall......63
zagga..............69

ResdentEvil.........85
TanOrpheus.........85
Quixote8.............89

BurnleyMik...........102
Spid...................106
cadmunkey............107

I'd like to make things a little closer points wise so the points scoring for this "league" is under review. As you can see, the top 9 are separated by fifty points already !

regards

dD

aka ResdentEvil

 
At Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks for the concern ( or is it Spam?!) David,but I don't have a gambling problem.I've been winning online for nearly three years now at both cash and more recently at tourneys.( see Sharkscope!)

I'm liking that league table Dudley.Nice work.I thought you may include it on your first blog post...

 
At Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, Blogger Rosie said...

Wow David.By the sound of your comment I think the main difference between you and Acorn is that you sucked at poker if you lost all your money and much more...

I'm sure, versed in the terms of addiction as you clearly are, you will think I am choosing to "enable" Acorn in order to justify my own addiction. Myself I find it strange that you would pounce on a (successful)player's blog to tell him this sort of thing.

 
At Wednesday, 16 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

re "tagged"

note to ra trout :

understanding women - you fcuking liar !!

regards

dD

aka ResdentEvil

ps note to acorn - might be able to help with your number 6 !!

 
At Thursday, 17 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Note to dB ;)

My wife is very understanding about my poker that's why I play when she's working, and don't tell her if I win cause she'll want to spend it or when I lose cause she'll want to spend the equivalent!!!

Can't wait till you get you blog up and running!!

David I think you'll find you are still an addicted gambler who just you doesn't gamble, thats why you feel the need to prowl the net for anything poker related, looking for some small way to fill the void in your life!Maybe it's the rush you got from playing a shit hand which occasionally resulted in a bad beat for players like acron, or the other side of that kind of play, left wondering why someone could have called your bluff (which will undoubtedly have been coupled with bad table image, raises that don't add up when you look at the way you played the hand till your bluff, and not thought through when you look at how your opponent played his/her hand) and took all your cash off you! Please, please start playing again and leave your online name here as we're always looking for fish just like you - you can even rant at us in the chat box when you lose again. Maybe I've got you all wrong and you were just a fish who lost his money and converted to the poker equivalent of a Jehovah's Witness so you could spread your beliefs on-line. I've gotta admit it is a bit more innovative than.. ding dong... "I'd like to speak to you about God".. but that doesn't make it any more intersting!

 
At Thursday, 17 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Geez I think I'm ranting, can someone take away my soap box, or if they've invented one, give me a chill pill..

 
At Thursday, 17 May, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear All,

Please find my comments to:

San Jose Salmon - "chill"

David - "both pipes"

Acorn - "sand and pearls"

hehe

 
At Thursday, 17 May, 2007, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks Rosie and da Trout.No reply from david so probably just spam.I did wonder if he'd only read my tilt post and last bankroll stats and had pegged me as a loser without looking any deeper.Who knows?!

dD's evil twin eh? Another one?!
Away and sook a boaby...

 
At Monday, 29 October, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Things are never easy in poker or in online gambling in general.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document