Saturday, July 21, 2012

50 Shades of Glasgow....

I thought I knew all about poker variance and how it works.I've played through long breakeven stretches of SNG's before and dealt with sick swings back in my cash game days, but it's taken me a while to realise just how brutal and sickening the MTT variety can be.I've been holding off on posting in hope that a decent score would mean I could avoid another dull boring post about how badly I'm running and how I can never seem to win key hands when deep but that's not happened.

Stars now has an option to click a button that opens a hand replayer which makes it easy to embed hands in blogs and other social media.I had a look at some of the hands pro's have posted using the feature and most are bad beat exit hands.Zzzzzzzzzzzzz.I will try and capture a few of the more interesting hands I'm involved in using boomplayer.com but I'll keep the bad beats to an absolute minimum.

After 6 1/2 yrs of using strict bankroll management this year has been quite liberating and soul crushing at the same time.I've made final tables,deep runs and even redeposited to stay in the games I'm really enjoying playing.( well up until my exit hand) I'd say I'm quite laidback and easy going most of the time but I'm also very competitive and it's been hard admitting to myself that my take a shot strategy hasn't worked out for me.

What's made things is a little easier is realising ( through reading threads on 2+2 etc)just how much of a chance I was taking playing so many $44 and $55 Mtt's with such a small bankroll.Doing so while still very much learning Mtt's and trying out different moves to see what works and what doesn't, as well as learning to adjust my ranges was probably never going to end well.

However soft ( and they are still full of fish) low stakes Mtt's are, simply winning the number of pots required to make a final table or take one down requires an awful lot of good luck/run good.Last night I came 15th in an $8,$8k Gtd Mtt after shoving A10 and being knocked out by the chip leader's A5 hitting a 5 on the flop.After telling nobody in particular to "fuck right fucking off" I thought back over the tourney and realised I'd been lucky to even get that far.Almost all of my big hands had actually held up,I'd won a few flips and I even recall getting it in with A10 on a K Q 10 flop v KQ and hitting another 10 on the turn to win the pot.Of course at the time when KK holds v A4 for example, it doesn't feel lucky at all, but winning in many similar situations over the course of a tourney to make a deep run is beating the odds.
,
My roll is only a couple of hundered $$ and although I've cut out the $55's ( should probably be cutting out the $5's nevermind $55's on my roll now!) I still took a shot at a couple of $27's and a $44 last night after making a few small cashes in earlier Mtt's.I also went back to playing a few 18 player turbo's and it was nice to go back to a game I know so well and where the right moves come far more naturally to me.( due having played thousands of them)

Anyway that's the poker update.Not much else going on really.My date went ok a few weeks ago and we talked about going out again but she said was called into work at the last minute ( she's a care worker) last week and this week when we were due to go out on Wed she texted me on Tues about 10pm to say "wnt make 2mrw sorry x" to which I sent a short reply and don't expect to hear from her again.

I will be catching up with a girl I went to school with soon.I've only seen her a few times over the years and we mainly just swap cards and texts around this time of year because our birthdays are close together.She's split from her partner and is moving to a new job soon down in Liverpool so we're planning on having a few drinks before she goes.

I've been trying not to reflect on the fact that I hit my late 30's soon ( on August 5th before my 40th on the 6th) but it's hard not to do some looking back/forward with such a big milestone coming up.Not really came to any earth shattering conclusions.Sure I could make more effort to find a woman and have more of a social life and yes I do sometimes feel like I should be doing more in general and that time is just passing me by but to be honest I've felt that way about time being wasted even when I was in a committed relationship.

Getting up early,going to work 5 days,counting down the Mondays until my next week or two off.Yeah it's all a bit Renton from Trainspotting and his "Choose Life" speech but it's just the way I feel.Of course I realise most people with kids are too busy to have time to think along similar lines and that plenty of people waste their time watching shit tv etc or spouting self important crap on the internet.On the subject of the latter I've nearly given in and signed up for Twitter ( Mum and Sis are on it now too)but I still refuse to bore the world to death 140 characters at a time.Yes I'll stick to doing the job properly using this space and far more characters...

Had to laugh at one of the more prudish women at my work reading that "50 Shades of Grey" book.A bit of an eye opener for someone who thought you joined the Mile High Club by taking a dump on a plane.Still I much prefer this quote from 50 Shades of Andy Gray,
"After the five hour romp, they shared a cigarette. "Was I any good?" she asked nervously. "You'd struggle on a cold night at The Britannia."

50 Shades of Glasgow on twitter is great too,although you may need a translator if you're not from Scotlands finest city.

Ok,thanks for reading.Back soon...

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At Saturday, 21 July, 2012, Blogger Josie said...

Waffles mentioned your dog in a recent post of his. I think Waffles had beer with your dog!

 
At Sunday, 22 July, 2012, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Ha,I hope Waffles bought him a round!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document