Thursday, August 04, 2005

One small step for an Acornman

I ended up spending most of last night hunting for my MOT certificate which I need to tax my car.Road tax was up at the end of July and I've a horrible feeling my MOT ran out in June.
The MOT is the annual test to make sure the cars roadworthy and although my Alfa is running like a dream I will need to get it in and get it tested asap.

Not much else to report.I played an hour of poker last night and finished up winning $6 which is a small step in the right direction. 1/2 hour at .25nl and was down $15 before stepping up to $1nl and making $20 in 1/2 hour when my 55 made a full house and a clown called my rather large river bet ( I was hoping it looked like a steal) with the pair of Aces he'd made on the flop.Not exactly spectacular but better than being slapped in the face by a wet fish.

Poker really is a mentally tough game.Further analysis of why I made such a dumb call with my AA yesterday led me to question my focus when I'm not at $1nl. If I can lay down QQ pf at that level when I feel I'm beaten then I should be able to lay down AA at lower levels when I know its behind.

I also realised that I made that bad play after folding AK to a couple of all in bets a hand or two earlier and of course watched as 55 took down the pot with an A and K on the board. Most of the time I tell myself that the constant shuffling software would mean that if I'd called the A or K wouldn't have hit but after dropping a few hundred in a couple of weeks I have to be honest and say that it did annoy me and may have been a factor.

I found a comment Will made at the end of his post yesterday interesting.He said that he likes sngs as they are short and sweet as opposed to having to play for a while at the cash games to make it a good session.( http://will-wonka.blogspot.com/). I've always thought the opposite.If I'm in a cash game I can leave anytime but in a tourney I'm commited to my seat until I win or go out and there's no set time for this.On reflection though I've changed my mind.A good ring game may require a couple of hours of grinding and while you can leave anytime I don't like leaving until the Big Blind is almost upon me,the table breaks up or I've been in my poker cupboard so long that roots start sprouting from my feet.( happens when your an acornman).


Enjoying my last days as a 32 yr old.I'm going to be 33 on the 6th and I'm not that keen on the idea.I tried to start a collection in my work for a bit of fun as there seem to be envelopes go round collecting money for all sorts of occasions and I've been here 10 years and never had one.Not that I'm bitter....

I even promised to start off my collection with £5 myself and to look suprised and happy when my colleagues sprung it on me but they must be doing something really special for my big day as my envelope remains empty.Maybe a rolex or a small amphibious vehicle for cruising up the River Clyde at lunchtime.

The excitement builds....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document