Monday, January 23, 2006

Tricky Situation ( non poker)

No names but a guy I work with is 6 months into an 18 month final warning.Most lunchtimes me,him and another workmate usually go for a walk round the town to get some fresh air and escape the office for a while.

He had Jury duty a couple of weeks ago.I did it a couple of years ago.You get your letter through the post giving you a reference number then you call the night before to discover if your required at the Court the next day.

Well my mate called, found out he wasn't required and took the day off work.By an amazing coincidence someone else in the same team as him was called up to the same jury but that person came into work after hearing the message stating he wasn't required and my mate is in trouble now for taking an unauthorised day off.

Its been reported "up the line" and his job is now in serious danger.

I got called into his managers office this pm and asked to back up my workmates claim that I had advised him before his jury duty that if you phone at night to check and aren't called up for the next day then you don't need to attend work.

What a situation to be in.If I say I never said that ( which I didn't) then he could lose his job and if I back his claim I could end up having to do so at an Industrial tribunal or least at his disciplinary hearing.

Its not an offence to give someone bad advice and if I thought it would have swung it I may have gone along with it but I'm fairly sure even if I did the company would still say it was my mates resposnsibilty to check the rules himself and not be guided by me.

My sister suggested he asks why his manager never outlined the procedures etc in place when called up for a jury which seems a good point.

I ended up stating I didn't recall saying that to him but that I did say that I was totally confused as to what the rules etc were in that situation.

I'm sure my workmate never meant to put me on the spot and my other workmate says he cannot lie and say he gave the wrong advice either so its not looking good.

Just had to get that off my chest and here's as good a place as any.

$60 up from poker at Labrokes last night and will be looking to hook up with the LBP ( London Blogger Posse) this week at the tables because as Rosie mentioned its been too long.

4 Comments:

At Monday, 23 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

nasty. I guess it would be easy for any of us to say. Back your mate. But its a whole different kettle of fish to be the one having to carry out your decision.

If there was no risk that you would be found out id back your mate.

 
At Monday, 23 January, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

incidentally im not sure rosie would like to be considered part of the london posse.

And to be accurate we are either a crew or a school. Not a posse

 
At Monday, 23 January, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

There would always be a risk J and I don't think its one I could afford to take.I'm not sure me agreeing I gave him bad advice excuses him anyway.Just hope he keeps his job though.

Btw not a posse eh! Howabout I join the SSS ( Soft Southern Softies)for a game? lol

 
At Tuesday, 24 January, 2006, Blogger Rod said...

I would have said that I said that JOKINGLY.

Ya have to cover YOUR ass you know and - let's face it - he was wrong!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document