Thursday, January 12, 2006

Friday 13th? Just another day...

Had my best night in a while at the tables winning $160 in under 2 hours of play.Yesterdays post finally seemed to shake the cobwebs from my game.I realised I've been playing a weak tight game for the last couple of weeks. Weak tight combined with a dangerous inability to laydown anything ( especially top 10 pre-flop hands) down.Scared to bet to put off drawing donkeys.If your convinced the donkey is gonna hit their 2 outer why build a pot for them?

All warped thinking of course and a subtle way to tilt away cash.

The three triggers for this were a costly night of unbelievable bad beats on Xmas eve,missing out on an $800 pot when I folded 88 and would have won with trip 8's and simply playing too much poker when exhausted and not in the mood to play.

By weak tight I mean if I didn't get attached to a hand and bet my stack I would check when I knew I should be raising and never put my opponent under real pressure unless I had the nuts.

I do worry that my poker mood is too manic.One minute I'm happy with my plays and on top of the world and the next I feel sick of poker and like I'm never going to win again which is silly but probably due in part to being so very tired recently after marathon sessions.

Juice mentioned superstition in my comments section yesterday.I always hit the overhead board when leaving the game if Rangers win and like having my lucky signed playing card ( Mr Slim) by my pc but generally I don't believe in stuff like that.I reckon there's no afterlife or ghosts either.Being dead will feel like it did 5 years before I was born and psychics and mediums are just con artists.( who'd make great salesmen no doubt).

Still can't post from work.Message says "page not responding" all the time which is very annoying.I could email my yahoo account from work and then paste it here but I wouldn't want to have to restrict my thoughts due to the fear of the sack over one minor "inappropriate" word etc. Been posting from home recently and enjoyed being able to throw in the odd f word to express myself .Its fuckin' great!

Had 2 big winners last night and here is one of them.I very nearly folded to the raise but when TheOtherside called I decided I was $14 up at the table and would take a gamble to hit my set.
I'd also folded that damn 88 hand to a raise and a reraise and reckoned if I hit it could be juicy.

TheOtherside according to his profile is a UK tv presenter called Richard Orford.No I've never heard of him either but he's in Ladbrokes celebrity profile section.I thought he was a magician after the amazing disappearing act he put on after this hand went down...


** Game ID 402348694 starting - 2006-01-13 00:51:00
** Watlington [Hold 'em] (0.250.50 No Limit - Cash Game) Real Money

- Dunny861 sitting in seat 1 with $53.15 [Dealer]
- Pena82 sitting in seat 2 with $10.21
- kocken13 sitting in seat 3 with $50.40
- Gramm sitting in seat 4 with $49.50
- TheOtherSide sitting in seat 5 with $56.13
- Acornman sitting in seat 6 with $66.30

Pena82 posted the small blind - $0.25
kocken13 posted the big blind - $0.50

** Dealing card to Acornman: 9 of Diamonds, 9 of Spades
Gramm called - $0.50
TheOtherSide raised - $2.50
Acornman called - $2.50 ( Its 5bb but lets call and see how the flop goes)

Pena82 went all-in - $10.21 ( hmm not so keen on that.I'll fold if TOS ( the other side) folds.

kocken13 folded
Gramm folded

TheOtherSide called - $10.46 ( Hmmm what could he have?)


Acornman called - $10.46 ( ok I may be behind but this is .25-.50 so anything is possible.Its Trips or bust on this one and may even be checked down as TOS never reraised which I'd have expected if he had AA or KK.)

** Dealing the flop: 9 of Hearts, 4 of Hearts, 4 of Diamonds

( Ya wee fuckin' dancer! Only 44 has me beat and thats unlikely)


TheOtherSide bet - $10.00

Acornman called - $10.00 ( I got position so I'll let him make the running...for now)

** Dealing the turn: 8 of Clubs
TheOtherSide checked

Acornman checked ( I'll show weakness too and hopefully he'll try and pressure me because of it)


** Dealing the river: Ace of Diamonds ( AA is a worry now but I still feel he would have reraised preflop.AK more likely.Fine by me.


TheOtherSide checked ( hmm.either the Ace didn't help or he hit and is trying to get me to bluff)

Acornman bet - $20.00 ( I'm still ahead and want paid.A nice bet that hopefully will get called)


TheOtherSide went all-in - $35.67 ( bassa has AA.Did I let him catch by checking the turn?)


Acornman called - $35.67 ( ok I tried to look like I was bluffing and he's gone for it.Trust that read.AA was ruled out earlier when no reraise.Trust that instinct too)


TheOtherSide shows: 7 of Spades, 7 of Diamonds
Acornman shows: 9 of Diamonds, 9 of Spades
Pena82 shows: 3 of Diamonds, 3 of Hearts
Acornman wins $30.77 from the main pot
Acornman wins $120.72 from side pot 1

Weekend of rest,relaxation,poker and football ahead.

Here's a couple of funnies from the paper.Have a good one.

"The internet?" interrupted an elderly chap nursing a half in a Glasgow pub as he listened to a couple of youngsters discussing their blog pages. "Infinite monkeys and infinite keyboards – but still no Shakespeare," he added.

Making waves: Our mention of an irony-free Senator Ted Kennedy having a dog called Splash reminds Colum Buchanan of the old Glasgow University Ygorra magazine joke: "Teddy, I think I'm pregnant.""Hush now, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it."

4 Comments:

At Friday, 13 January, 2006, Blogger Jordan said...

Hey Acorn. You said something a while back that I wanted you to explain. I don't usually leave requests, but could you please post about how pot helps your poker game? Thanks bud.

 
At Friday, 13 January, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

No probs Jordan.It helps in many ways.In fact I'd nearly go as far as to say I play poorly when I don't smoke.

It may not work for everyone cos I do have a fairly high tolerance level ;-)

I'm careful when getting new strains though because obviously they have a bigger impact like errr tonight lol.


Patience:

I can fold hand after hand watching my opponents and not feeling the urge to jump in for the sake of getting some action.I'm less impulsive and more thoughtful about my plays.

Ego:

I feel I can control my own poker ego better.Not been playing well recently but on my usual game I can let a maniac raise my preflop limp 5 times in a row.I'll fold AQ and wait for a real biggy to catch him on without feeling I'm being run over.In fact I want him to be enjoying running me over...till I strike.( see below)

Balls:

I only seem to play the really crazy tables ( $2-$4 with $230 ave pots etc) when I've smoked a ton.I find it easier to play my game and not be scared.I put a maniac all in for $297 with 1010 not long ago.

Tuning in:

I also feel I can tune in far better to the other players and how they are feeling which in turn make it easier to predict what they will do in certain situations.

More ruthless:

Yes I said I tune into their feelings but that means I can mess with them more and I never like messing more than after a good smoke.Any chat abuse from anyone becomes a source of amusement to pass the time between hands.
Sometimes is too easy to be passive but not after a smoke.


Just some hazy thoughts.Would love to hear anyone elses thoughts and experiences maaaaan!

 
At Sunday, 15 January, 2006, Blogger Yoyo (Poker Poison) said...

Congrats on your successful evening!

Pot makes you a better player..So that is my problem? I need pot? I get into enough trouble without it, so I guess my poker game will have to suffer without.

So when is the next ROW?

 
At Sunday, 15 January, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Good question V! I'll post about ROW V US this week and see who's up for it.

Hope I can get a few more ROW players on board this time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document