Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Ruby Murray

Currently suffering from a poker related injury.I must have pulled a hair out at the top of my inner thigh and its got infected and hurts like hell with every step taken.My new John Wayne/just shat myself walking style has proved a real hit with the ladies though…

Before I get onto the poker I have to mention the customer complaining about the problems he had with our call centre in India.He asked for the password “Dalmation” to be set up on his account after his faithful pooch.He’s not happy that he now has to enter “damnation” every time he wants to log on…

Played a for ½ hour on Sunday night at Party and lost $15.Lost a further $25 last night when my trip sixes were busted by a flush.I don’t often feel outplayed at the table but the villan raising preflop with 10c 9c caught me out.Flop was 2 4c 5c and despite him being the preflop raiser I mixed it up and bet into him post flop thinking I could get him to lay down AK/AQ/AJ there and then.I took his flat call as a good sign and when the 6c fell on the turn I considered it unlikely he had 2 clubs in his hand and bet the pot.He called and thinking I was ahead I got it all in on the blank turn and was surprised he called.

Took that blow and decided to move to Pokerroom.I had a $10 bonus which required a further 18 player points to clear by the 18th Feb. Opened a full ring $1nl table and settled down to play a tight game and earn my $10.

Now we all know that donkeys always draw and that good players are supposedly on the wrong end of bad beats more often than bad players and while I don’t wish to change the style of play that has worked for me until now I feel I’m sometimes too quick to lay down a hand especially when I have a piece of the flop.As a cash game player my motto is usually “there’s always another hand” and I wonder if that’s always the right philosophy.

Bottom line is I won $40 at $1nl and most of it when I called a raise from the BB with one of my favourite oddball hands,the mighty 23sooted ( diamonds) alomg with 2 others.The flop came 3h 5h 8 h and the preflop raiser led out for $5 ( I'd paid $2 to call his $3 pf raise).The other 2 folded and the action was on me.There was $17.50 in the pot and for a change instead of folding I called.

The turn brought a 6d giving me an inside straight draw to go with my bottom pair.He again bet $5 and this made me think he was either a weak player or had a weak hand as he was not denying me odds if I was on the flush draw.Maybe he was worried I already had him beaten.

River was a 2h giving me 2 pairs and I bet out $20 thinking a) my 2 pairs may be good b) I'm representing the flush or straight.

He called and I won.Hand history never showed his holding but it could have been anything from mid pocket pair to AK.


Quirky hands like that where I may only have 5 or 6 outs but will get paid off if I hit are something I’ll need to consider more.The implied odds are there but I’ve always tended to see implied odds as an excuse to be a drawing donkey.



Cleared my $10 bonus and then went back to party and blew $8 in a few minutes to leave me on a net profit of $2 for my play this week including the $10 bonus.

The play at Party 6 max $25 nl seems to be either super tight ( moved when all folded to my $1.3 preflop raise on one table with AA) or fishier than a fishy thing made of fish.So fishy in fact its taking some adjustment to get used to.Still up slightly there and you wont hear me complaining about the low standard.Just means I have to pay more attention to who the biggest fish are and play accordingly.Best way to play the worst players at the lowest levels is the bet big or go home way I reckon.Make sure if they are going to outdraw you its gonna cost them big time.

Just had a specially cooked valentines ruby murray( curry).Chicken Madras with rice and nan bread.Tasted great.

I can't understand why America isn't as big on Indian food as the UK.Properly done with a nice nan bread there's not much to beat a fine Garlic chicken balti or tikka masala.

Mrs A has also been busy flooring the attic this week with her brother and has set my dart board up too.Looks great and looking forward to making the most of my new den especially as the wee one gets older.Maybe even room for a plant or two...

No poker tonight.Mrs A's dad had lent her "Hotel Rwanda" on dvd so we're watching that.A nice light hearted romantic comedy...not!

That's all for now.Thanks for reading and keep walking that line...

2 Comments:

At Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

I dont really understand why you played 23suited.Surely the flop is screaming "Danger danger high voltage" and for you to take the 42nd ammendment " its free to fold"

 
At Wednesday, 15 February, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Just reread it and I'll check hand history again tonight as there were only 2 hearts on the flop not three.

Maybe it was a bit loose and fishy but I reckon I had implied odds somewhere in there...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document