Sunday, October 08, 2006

Once in a lifetime

And I might ask myself "Did we really beat France 1-0?" and I may say to myself "That was a beautiful result"...

Yes,I've calmed down to a frenzy after yesterdays incredible result from Hampden, which leaves Scotland looking down on the World Cup finalists from our position at the top of the group.I'm enjoying the "once in a lifetime" moment but realistically we still have very little chance of getting through our group.Scotland have a habit of always just missing out when it counts.( usually on goal difference).I remember being 13 mins from qualifying at Euro '96 before a late goal for Holland ( v England) sent us home.Even last night at 1-0 when France got a freekick on the edge of our box with 2 mins to go I thought "here we go again".It's just part of being a Scotland supporter I suppose.

I noticed the Sunday Post and Sunday Mail both printed a "your boys took one helluva beating" headline today.Can't claim they stole from my blog as we were all putting a new slant on the famous Norwegian commentary from when they beat England 2-1 in a World Cup qualifier played in Oslo in 1981.The full translated version was...

"We are best in the world! We are best in the world! We have beaten England 2-1 in football! It is completely unbelievable! We have beaten England! England, birthplace of giants. Lord Nelson, Lord Beaverbrook, Sir Winston Churchill, Sir Anthony Eden, Clement Attlee, Henry Cooper, Lady Diana--we have beaten them all. We have beaten them all!. Maggie Thatcher can you hear me?"

"Maggie Thatcher, I have a message to you during your election campaign. I have a message to you: We have knocked England out of the World Cup of football. Maggie Thatcher, as they say in your language in boxing bars around Madison Square Garden in New York: Your boys took a hell of a beating! Your boys took a hell of a beating!"

Also used when England won the ashes,Scotland beat Norway.....


To the poker and last night was another decent night at the tables.Made the money in the majority of the 20 and 30 man turbos I played at Pokeroom to give me a nice wee profit there for the week.Nothing fancy ,just a tight ( 25% flop seen ) but aggressive game ( esp shorthanded) did the business.Miami Mark enjoyed me winning one turbo by going all in with 45 off and hitting to win.It's certainly not a move I would have made before I read Matt Matros's
fine book a while back.I've mentioned it before as it had a major impact on my game.I went from wondering what the hell Matt was thinking to seeing the mathamatical sense in his aggressive game.

With the 45off hand ( v Jh10h) I had a huge chip lead heads up and reckoned with 2 live cards I was no more than a 65/35 underdog ( got that about right) and reckoned by betting enough to put the villian all in, there was also at least a 50% chance of him folding preflop.I also thought I had a big enough lead to get him all in twice as ( at worst) a 65/35 underdog and that meant I was favourite to win at least one of those and knock him out to win.

I also crashed and burned in Inters $3k gtd after never really coming back from a nasty beat but there's no doubt I'm enjoying the experience of playing sngs almost as often as cash games these days.I love the way the dynamics of the sngs are always changing and though the gameplan mostly stays the same,adjustments and tweaks have to be made all the time to stay ahead of the rest.

To the stats... Ladbrokes $1632 , Inter $164 , Party $228 , Pokerroom $1257.Total
$3281 ( + $321 for week)

I now require $146 by Oct 19th to match last years profit.

Pizza tonight followed by "Hostel" on dvd.

Back soon...

2 Comments:

At Monday, 09 October, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hello !

we may not know each other, but feel free to call me "dD" so as not to confuse me with any other anons :)

was not at the showpark, family duties. same reason i did not see oor illustrious victory over vive la france

later

dD

 
At Tuesday, 10 October, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

No probs dD though I'm not exactly overrun with anons just now ;-)

cheers,
Acorn

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document