Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Slow-burner

Maybe it’s a confidence issue,perhaps it’s down to stamina ( never any complaints from Mrs A!) but I just don’t think I’ll ever have the relentlessness that is required to make really good money at this game.Don’t get me wrong,I can start playing poker at 4pm on a Sat afternoon and when I log off at 6am it’s only because I know I have work on Monday.In fact at 6am early Sunday morning last weekend I was playing two 6 max tables and felt right in the zone and at my poker peak.

Fast forward to Sunday and I hardly played at all ,only starting an $11 sng at FT late on ( KK beaten by Mr 55 rivering his 5 didn’t help my enthusiasm) and then after dropping $10 at a Party cash table I decided my heart wasn’t really in it and logged off.At least now I have the experience to log off when I don’t feel I’m on my best game.

The problem is that even at Micro-stakes and low level sngs’ ,anything but my best game usually means losses.I’m not fond of my B,C and D games and I only want to risk my hard earned roll when I really feel like playing.

I mentioned at the start of the year that one of my aims was to just forget all the procrastination and just sit down at the tables,trust my game and get on with it.I’m just not sure that’s realistic.It’s much easier to lose money at this game than win it and I’m very wary of throwing away profits earned by just playing for the sake of it.

I followed the link to Blinders blog from Hoyazo to read this thoughts on the changing landscape at the cash tables after the recent US law changes and netteller debacle.I found Blinders take on it to be very interesting, but my attention was also drawn to his latest post where he writes about his ladder challenges and describes how he sometimes only played for 4 hours in a week because he wanted to be playing his best game.

Perhaps I’m just a slow-burner who needs a couple of warm-up games to be in the right frame of mind.Last night for example Miami Mark and I warmed up with a $2.20 Sunday Million turbo shootout ( though after reading Marks post I think the $11 shootout will be my next Sat qualifier) and after that I placed 2nd in an 18 player $15 turbo.In both games I got my money in ahead and in both the villains rivered the flush draw after calling with no pot odds.

After that game however I should have gone to bed but played and lost a quick $5 shorthanded sng at Pokerroom before losing $10 at a PR cash table.I’d forgotten to mention I won a $5 shorthanded turbo the other night so my PR roll hasn’t moved but I need to pay attention to when I’ve had enough for the night and switch off and go and do something less boring instead.( well not boring ,that was just a wee “Why don’t you” reference for anyone old enough to remember!)

Ok here's a couple of funnies that made me smile ....

We are told about an overweight woman in Glasgow who went to her doctor. She was told to try a new eating regime. "I want you to eat regularly for two days, then skip a day, and repeat this procedure for two weeks. You should lose about five pounds."

When she returned, he was shocked to see she had, in fact, lost more than two stone, and he asked if she had followed his directions.

"Aye, doctor," she told him, "But ah thought ah wiz goin' to drop doon deid on the third day."

"What, from hunger?" he asked.

"No," she told him, "from the bloody skippin'."


Police officer's wife tells us about hubby being called out by a homeowner, woken by crashing and banging of his garage door, who feared an attempted break-in. The police arrived and found a chap the worse for drink, carrying a takeaway curry, and banging on the garage.

When they asked what he was up to he declared that he was "trying to get the wife to answer the door".

When the officers pointed out that it was a) a garage door and b) not even his, he told them: "Oh . . . I thought she was taking a long time to answer."


A chap who took early retirement was regaling his working pals with how great his life now was, and we overhear him end his glowing report with: "Honestly, I've enough money to last me the rest of my life," then added: "Provided I'm dead by a week on Friday."


We should end the traffic cop stories with the boorish classic of the officer stopping the young chap and asking: "Have you been drinking sir?"

And he replies: "Why? Have I got a fat bird in the car?"

Back soon....

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Tuesday, 13 February, 2007, Blogger TripJax said...

Being a slow-burner can not only be costly monetarily speaking, but with your game as well. My two thoughts...

1) If you play a game because you expect to not do well, just because it is early, I think you will decrease your win rate over the long haul.

2) If you play a lower priced game to warm up, you are in essence not playing the game you are setting yourself up for. Many players, including myself, get the "awwfukkits" when it is a cheap cash game or sng, because the money is not enough to worry with. Suddenly you've finished donking it up and now you are ready to play for real, but that previous game wasn't really a lead-in.

Trust me...I wrote this out more to help myself, so don't think I'm giving you a hard time. I'm as guilty as the next guy with many bad habits in my poker game...from pre-game to post-game.

Until next time, may the felt be with you.

 
At Tuesday, 13 February, 2007, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Cheers Trip ,your comment makes a lot of sense.I just get annoyed with myself sometimes when I start playing at 11pm ish and then wonder why the heck I waited so long.I think just realising I wait so long some nights because it's later on in the evening when I actually feel like playing has got to be a step forward.

 
At Wednesday, 14 February, 2007, Blogger United113 said...

I think it only takes very small increases in performance to improve your bankroll a lot. When i was playing Virgin heads up STT for tournament points a few months ago, i played 1000 heads up sit and go's in a month and ended up even. I worked out if i could win 1 in 10 games more i would have won $500. I have improved my game now and consistantly do well at heads up sit and go's.. It's all about practise

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Mark said...

Hey Acorn, Need a confidence boost just look up pokermen23 on sharkschope - was playing a $38 6-man with him on Stars... how the hell someone loses $27k I will never know!! Does this make it the fishiest table ever??!?!

BTW he sucked out to knock me out 4th in this one... ho hum,

Cheers, Mark

 
At Thursday, 15 February, 2007, Blogger Littleacornman said...

You're right United I reckon it would probably take well over 1000 games until one or two results don't make a big difference.

Hehe Mark but that's not the record! I wish I could remember his name but I found a $34.5k loser at the $15 games.More money than sense as my Mum would say!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document