Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Great Expectations

I was chatting to Rosie during The Bloggerment about going back to work in a couple of weeks and joked about how I should just quit my job and 8 table the 45 player,$12 sng turbo's on Stars all day."What's stopping you?" Rosie asked, and the answer is that after my recent 40 buy-in downswing at the $22's I just don't have the stomach for fulltime poker and the swings that would come with it.I've also never averaged 50 games ( the very min required to cover all bills) per day for more than a couple of days at a time and I'm not sure I ever could.

Playing very little poker over the last few months seemed to have weakened me mentally and made it far harder to cope with what are fairly standard beats and coolers.A 40 buy-in downswing over 60 games from hell would be hard for anyone to take, but as most pro's probably average around 100 sng's per day, my months of hell would just be a bad morning for those guys.

Anyway I have buckled down so far this week and although I'm nowhere near the volume required to play for a living,I did manage to six table the $22's quite comfortably yesterday and made $240 profit over 28 games.Before the last set of six I was up about $45 on the session and felt pissed off that I was still losing big hands at crucial moments.My expectation was that I should have been up a good few hundred dollars and a measly $45 profit was almost insulting.I then took a break and realised that $45 profit over 20 odd games would be about right running at a decent 10% return on investment.When I sit down and only play 3-4 games per night I'm not looking to make $8 profit, although realistically that's what I'll be doing well to make.Even after years of online poker it's still hard to get my head round the fact that I'm not going to win as often as I feel I should be.

I also 8 tabled the $12,45 player turb's on Monday and made a whopping $3 over a couple of sets.Despite a couple of 3rd places I felt should have been wins,I actually quite enjoyed the overall pace and quick decision making that came with playing so many games.

Hopefully I've shaken off some of the mental poker rust and won't hit another nightmare downswing,leaving me free to rack up some more volume and profit this week...

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 21 April, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe take a week off work and see if you could grind none stop for five days and see how it goes?

Some sick grinders ot there, Daleroxxu plays at least 200 DON per day. I'd kill myself at 50!

 
At Friday, 23 April, 2010, Blogger United113 said...

When you say set of six, do you do the same as me and start six and then play till those six finish and then start more? HOw many will pros play at the same time? and i assume they just keep starting one when one ends... all day?1

 
At Saturday, 24 April, 2010, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Pud: I've had nearly 6 months off mate and haven't got into the grind!

United: On Party I'll start 6 and play them until I'm done on all tables.On Stars if 8 tabling I don't mind firing up some more if I crash out a few as they have a 5 min break every hour.( just enough time to roll one up and have a piss!)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document