Thursday, August 11, 2005

Assorted nonsense

While I remember I meant to add that another aspect of Pokerroom I like is that you can click to see the hand histories of the previous hands played at the table.This means if your AA wins an all in showdown a quick click will tell you what your opponents ( who went to showdown) had.
This can be very useful as it gives an idea of the standards people operate at.I saw someone call and all in for $12 and when I checked they'd called it with J 10. A note was made for the future and while as they say in the financial world "past fishyness is not a guarantee of future fishyness" it can certainly help influence borderline decisions.

Played well last night but still lost $50.Lost a buy in when I got into a raising war with QQ.At $1nl I may have folded but at .25nl I thought I may still have been ahead.Up against KK and bye bye $25.

The other big hands I lost in were when I had KQ and made 2 pair on the board and was betting out but getting one caller.I bet $12 when I hit on the turn and the call made me think he was either drawing to the flush ( 2 hearts on the flop) or had trips.When a 3rd heart came on the river and he checked and I did too and his trip 9's took it down.Glad I slowed down.

It was a bit of a frustrating night.I got QQ 4 times and didn't win once with it.I don't normally bet my draws in ring games but when I had 7c5c and the flop came with 2 clubs I bet out when it was checked to me hoping to represent the Q on the board and disguise my flush draw.One caller and when a 10c hit on the turn I thought I was good and bet out a decent amount only to get called.Blank on the river and I bet out again only to get called by a villan with an 4c8c and a higher flush.

Not too down about it all though as unlike in some losing sessions recently I felt as if I'd actually played decent poker.I'd rather get garbage hands all night though than second best ones.

Started the evening by popping up to see my Mum and Dad for a while.Gave my Mum some poker coaching at the play money tables.( well I am a play money multi millionaire ) . My mum plays short handed games and together we ripped up the competition.Good bit of fun but far far removed from a realistic game.Always good to see my folks.

Another thought provoking post from http://www.gcox25.blogspot.com/ about balancing family and poker.Some quality comments too.Mrs A arrived back from work at 12am last night and came in the door just as my 63 o/s in the BB hit a 7 4 5 rainbow board and I felt bad that I didn't hear a word she said as I contemplated how to milk my unexpected straight.Switched off after that to pay her the attention she deserves but didn't stop the guilty feeling.

I'm very lucky that Mrs A is so good about my hobby.The fact that I've cashed out and bought a fridge freezer and washing machine with some of my winnings may help a little but really its down to her good nature and the fact that she gets the tv remote.I suppose if I was putting money into my poker account instead of winning that may make a difference too.
My wee cupboard that I play in is off our living room under the stairs so she still feels like I'm in the same room as we can chat away whilst I'm playing.

My other hobby is my football team and I can be quite obsessive about that too.I go to all Rangers homes games,several away games and until the kick off times changed I also went to all the Reserve team games.Oh and if Rangers aren't at home on a Sat I go and see EK Thistle play instead.

Mrs A likes poker more than football I think.I don't watch nearly as much football on tv as I used to since I caught the poker bug.I watch very little tv at all these days.

I may try and cut down on my poker playing a little to allow more time for my family and also to ensure I'm still enjoying my time at the tables.Sometimes it does feel like more of a duty than a pleasure to be playing and when its only a hobby that can't be right.Its also not good for the bankroll to play when not fully focussed.

Of course all these wise words will probably go the same way as all my other promises to myself about levels to play at,bankrolls etc.
I mentioned the other day about how I like kidding Step A by putting on a serious face and pointing behind her when we're eating then stealing her chips.

Sometimes I feel I steal my own chips.

Gotta learn to walk the walk and not just talk the talk....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document