Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Tilt thoughts

Reading http://tripjax.blogspot.com/ recent post about moving up to chase money he'd lost made me reread my own post from my 15 hour marathon session on Saturday and realise that I moved up to $2-$5 nl to try and chase my lost money too. Trip and I both won our money back and it got me thinking.

At first when I read his post I thought I'd been kidding myself on when I wrote that I moved up to see if the games were as juicy and that I'd really been on tilt.After some careful thought I'm glad to say that I don't think Trip or I were tilting despite the obvious tilty signs of moving up and playing at a higher level without the bankroll or experience.

Whilst part of the problem of moving up like that is "playing scared" in some respects I'm not sure if playing a bit scared is all that bad.In cash games it really is all about the long run and I quite often feel that I'll simply fold and take another shot later rather than take too many risks.
For example I raised with AK the other night at $1nl full ring and was called in 2 places. Flop comes K 9 6 rainbow and I bet out a decent $9 and get reraised all in.I was fairly new to the table and had no read of any kind on the villan.I folded.I was worried about the set or 2 pairs but I'm still wondering now what he had.Good fold and better to wait for another hand or pussy poker?

Back to why I didn't tilt when I moved up.I played for at least 7 hours at $2-$5.Bought in for $400 and left with $732 having never dropped below my buy in.
I wonder if the last part about never dropping below my buy in is the critical part of all this.

Of course the books say to play every hand as an individual hand on its own merits but do I play a better game if I am ahead in the session? I think I do and I need to concentrate even more on playing correctly.To this end whilst reporting on how I'm doing at the tables I'm going to try and not focus so much on my bankroll total at the end of each session.

No poker played last night between making sure the wee one was ready for her first day back at school after the holidays and playing Medal of Honor on the ps2 with Mark.

Good news on the car front.Passed its MOT and time belt done.Just gotta go and collect it.

Vroooooooooom.....

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 16 August, 2005, Blogger Juice said...

Hey acorn does your poker software allow you to see which positions in the table you make and lose money. I have discoved i lose money in the BBand SB. Does everyone have this problem?

 
At Wednesday, 17 August, 2005, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Yep.Every stat you could imagine.
I'm sure everyone loses money in the BB and SB.I do.Your moneys in the pot no matter what you got( rappin' now)so your bound to lose overall cause its an automatic call.

Stay tuned for a BB trick I learned from the poker channel...

 
At Wednesday, 17 August, 2005, Blogger TripJax said...

Good post...thanks for the pimpage. I was sick yesterday and missed all the bloggy goodness, otherwise I would have commented earlier.

I must say, when I moved up I didn't play scared. I enjoyed the game, though if things hadn't ended well I probably would have been questioning my actions over and over. Luckily, I don't have to worry about that right now...

Good luck with the vrooooooooms...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document