Saturday, August 12, 2006

Book pays for itself..

No direct quotes as I've lent it to the s-man but Doubleas book paid for itself last night after I won a $90 pot at $50 nl 6 max.It was a very loose aggressive table ( average pot $27) and I limped with J10 from the cut off and called a 4* bb raise as there was already another caller behind me.Flop gave me a gutshot ( K 9 3 rainbow) and the preflop raiser bet $4 which was called before the action was on me.I would usually fold a gutshot here as I wasn't getting the pot odds to continue but as my hand was well disguised and I felt I would get paid off if I did hit.I called ,hit my gutshot on the turn and won a nice juicy pot!

I used to dismiss implied odds a lot of the time as an excuse to make a loose call but thanks to "Pressure Poker" I am now able to see that in the right situation calling or raising with a gutshot type draw can be a good move.I actually did raise with a gutshot at a less aggressive table during the week and was still able to take the pot with another bet on the turn even after I missed.If I had missed on the turn with my J10 it was an easy fold if the turn bet had been large or another call to see the river if I still felt I'd get paid off if it hit.

I should maybe reread the section on deeper stacks poker though ( not that $200nl is very deep) because I moved to a $200nl 6 max table and dropped $60 there over 1/2 hour of poor cards,missed flops and too much passive play on my part.I just wasn't ready to lose a $200 buy-in and probably shouldn't have been playing there with that state of mind.( not that I plan on losing a buyin at $50nl but I can brush it off fairly easily and move on).I think that's why Doublesas suggestion of a separate "take a shot" roll works so well as opposed to taking a "scared" shot just because I've had a good week.

Won a $5 sng at Inter for a change of pace before getting into a good position in their $3k gtd and then blowing it through a moment of daftness.I tried a blinds steal from the button with 97 off ( hoped the fact I hadn't played hand at the table since being moved there may help) and the BB ( half my stack) moved all in.The blinds were high and I reckoned I wasn't so far behind that I should fold and called only to face 77 and I didn't improve.I expected to have two live cards at least but I should still have folded and went out a few orbits later.

Loving my new Laptop now I've finally moved on to the comfort of the settee with it.Only problem is that it's not on an NTFS file system which means I can't download the SQL database I need to get Pokertracker working.Grrrrr. Mr Edge reckons I may be able to upgrade my FAT32 system thing but that I could lose my o/s! I'll ask the s-man next time he's over for advice because I do love PT and GT+ is a superb piece of software and I'd hate to lose it especially when playing two tables.I'm still going to try and get my old pc sorted as otherwise I've lost all my PT records ( Back up? nahhh) and will have no way of measuring my monthly hours played.

Ok off to visit my Gran.May all your data bases be compacted....

2 Comments:

At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Blogger doubleas said...

Thanks for the kind words.

I would like to say that by deeper stacks, I'm just referring to more big blinds, not necessarily more monetary value. Online sites allow 100 big blinds to sit down, but when you get a big stack and get into hands with other big stacks (200 big blinds each), then you'll have to adjust a little bit.

Congrats on your night and good luck.

 
At Sunday, 13 August, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Your welcome Doubleas and thanks for advice!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document