Sunday, September 17, 2006

Micro reads

Apologies for the whiney nature of yesterdays post.Lack of sleep combined with another losing week at the tables,Rangers losing and car woes meant I was in a stinking mood.All just trivial stuff in the grand scheme of life but I don't do tired very well I'm afraid.Read a nice cheery article last week about people in their 30's falling ill because they don't realise they can't play as hard as they did 10 years ago.Maybe all my late nights and very late weekend finishes just caught up on me a bit.

Anyway last nights poker began well and I'd made $125 in profit before joining Rosie for a wee sng ( came 3rd).It was a strange night though because a couple of suckouts ( yet again) saw my profit slip to $55 before bed and I logged off feeling kind of weird,happy I'd won but still gobsmacked at the beats I'd taken.

The point of this post ( there is one coming) is regarding getting reads on opponents.I folded the hand below ( a winner) because I was fairly new to the table and reckoned at the very least I was outkicked and at worst facing at least 2 pairs or trips.It's part of the reason I don't usually comment on hands posted in blogs because what's a good call or raise in one hand can be wrong on another.

After the hand below I folded 77 to two all ins before me and would have beaten 44 in a huge pot( I assume the other guy had AK /Aq and missed board).Eventually patience paid off and I left this table with a healthy profit but if you read poker books/forums and refuse to bet big with top pair,top kicker then this wasn't the table for you.What I'm trying to say is that so much in poker is dependent on the players at the table.I folded here because I just felt I was behind and nobody would play it this way if they didn't have my hand beaten.Learning how much credit and respect to give opponents at each table are what makes the difference between winning and losing.


- Acornman sitting in seat 1 with $48.85
- chikadee sitting in seat 2 with $35.58
- CHILLED06 sitting in seat 3 with $53.65 [Dealer]
- BOXER2 sitting in seat 4 with $43.46
- meekeen sitting in seat 5 with $34.55
- RychBoy87 sitting in seat 6 with $31.89 [Sitting out]

BOXER2 posted the small blind - $0.25
meekeen posted the big blind - $0.50

** Dealing card to Acornman: King of Clubs, Jack of Clubs

5 handed this is not a bad hand


Acornman called - $0.50
chikadee called - $0.50
CHILLED06 called - $0.50
BOXER2 called - $0.50
meekeen checked

No action,lets see a flop


** Dealing the flop: King of Diamonds, 3 of Spades, 4 of Diamonds

Hmmm I like.



BOXER2 bet - $0.50
meekeen called - $0.50
Acornman called - $0.50

This was a $21 ave pot table ( $50nl) so while I could have reraised I felt my hand was good unless another diamond fell.

chikadee called - $0.50
CHILLED06 raised - $1.00

Hmmm a raise from the maniac.


BOXER2 raised - $1.50

hmmmmm a reraise from the orignal raiser

meekeen called - $1.50
Acornman called - $1.50

Hmmm the plot thickens,what's going on?


chikadee called - $1.50
CHILLED06 raised - $2.00
BOXER2 raised - $2.50
meekeen called - $2.50

Now at this point I was tempted to reraise big but I was starting to lose further trackof just where the hell I was in the hand.



Acornman called - $2.50
chikadee called - $2.50
CHILLED06 raised - $3.00
BOXER2 raised - $8.50
meekeen called - $8.50

Ok,Boxer obviously likes his hand a lot and I reckon my KJ is no good.Probably behind to 2 pair,trips or at least KQ.Time to cut and run.


Acornman folded
chikadee called - $8.50
CHILLED06 called - $8.50

** Dealing the turn: 7 of Clubs
BOXER2 went all-in - $34.71

I'm thinking how happy I am to have stepped out the way..

meekeen folded
chikadee folded
CHILLED06 called - $34.71

** Dealing the river: 3 of Hearts

BOXER2 shows: King of Spades, 5 of Hearts

Vnh sir!


CHILLED06 mucks:
BOXER2 wins $106.42 from the main pot

I'd love to expand a little more( not my waistline) but I've promised Mrs A n Step A a KFC and the S-man will be over in an hour.

Back later in the week..

6 Comments:

At Tuesday, 19 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rangers and Leeds both losing in a weekend.

Thankfully, It doesn't happen too often but man when it does It can affect my play at the tables.

Strange isn't it?

Good luck.

 
At Tuesday, 19 September, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

I agree a bad football result can lead to poor play.Hopefully won't happen too often this season.( esp on Sat!)

 
At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmm. KFC, especially their new Zinger Chicken Buckets! Mmmmm, slaver, drool, etc!

 
At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Blogger surflexus said...

Hey bud, I appreciate the well wishes. I made a good run at it but ran in to AA late and went out in 22nd place. Surf

 
At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

There is no shame in folding.

If i fold and i suspect ive been bluffed out i keep an eye on the player to try and work out from his subsequent play whether hes got the moxie to bluff and when he likes to do it.

What a bizarre hand to go to war with K5. In a multiway pot with peopel calling your minimum bets is K5 really going to be enough? Still agression pays the bills eh.

 
At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Finger lickin good Yorkie!

No probs Surf.Nice work in getting so far into it.

At micro limits though people do choose some poor hands to go to war with.Just gotta take note and get 'em next time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document