Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Mums knows best!

I had good news for a change when my car overheating turned out to be down to a dodgy hose clip and only cost £10 to fix.I’m sure I now have months/years of trouble free motoring ahead….

To the poker and Juice mentioned getting a lot of stick for a hand he posted on a forum.I like to read over poker forums and articles though I don’t pay a great deal of attention to hand history analysis as most of it seems fairly uninformed.If you didn’t have Aces or Kings you should have folded preflop and with hindsight you should always have spotted the monsters under the bed.I should add at this point, that reading back hand histories from blogger tourneys is different because the players usually do know each others styles and the analysis is partly based on that added information.

I found the hand I posted on Monday interesting because there were so many factors to take into account when playing it.It’s hard to convey all of them in a post.I read back my analysis and the glaring error seems to be not reraising by a decent amount to find out where I was but although I’d only been at the table a short time it was obvious Chilled 06 was calling everything and as I knew Boxer liked his hand I didn’t think I’d gain much information by reraising as I would be called anyway.

If I had stayed in to the end and Boxer had shown down KQ or 2 pairs then I would have felt I’d overplayed a weak hand ( KJ) and had probably played like a donkey by staying in the hand and calling.

If I’d been at the table longer and knew that Boxer played weak kickers as if they were golden ( especially against calling station/maniacs like Chilled06) then maybe with that information I could have made a reraise with more confidence and stayed in the hand till the end.

What this has brought home to me is the need to focus on the game I’m playing.Sites like Laddys and Inter are very fishy , but if I want to win more I need to pay more attention to who is doing what at the table.It’s probably not a huge revelation that focussing is good at the poker table ( doh) but I think I need a wee reminder myself to ensure I do less surfing and chatting whilst playing.

I’m about even for my play over the last two nights.Went out of a £5 sng with AK v QQ ( I bet first) so no complaints there and also weakly bombed out of the Inter $3k last night when I didn’t lay down my AK to AQ on a Q high flop.My excuse is that Miami Mark was waiting for me to join him in a turbo sng but it was a weak play regardless.

Meantime I had fun on Monday night playing a “sng” at Laddies in which everyone starts with one chip and your always all in on the blinds.Almost no skill at all required but I won in about 3 minutes for an $8 profit and I reckon these wee games are a nice wee break from the usual grind.

Not sure if anyone else will find this half as amusing as me ( I did say I’d be sharing it with a few friends) but my Mums email about an Omaha hi/lo sng she won by mistake cracked me up.Two years ago I was getting lectures about the dangers of gambling and now she’s winning
Omaha sngs!

"I just went in for a single table 5 person tourney. God. It turned out to be 5 card hands!!! No idea what I was doing but played as if it was 2 card poker. Lots of things happened that I didn’t understand.:low straights with numbers missing winning for example!! But I sort of got the gist and I had this bizarre head to head for 15 minutes with this guy who didn’t know I had no idea. I was really rash cos I didn’t know the rules and didn’t care and I WON!! $17.50 Think I’ll retire while I’m ahead at $147!!

Love Mum xxx "

3 Comments:

At Wednesday, 20 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If only my Mum played poker, she wouldn't badger me about it all the time, and look like she's about to faint when I talk about how I'm supporting myself on "gambliiiing!!".

:)

 
At Thursday, 21 September, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go Mother Acorn! I'm sure when Johnny Bax won his 7 card stud WSOP bracelet he'd never played in an MTT before and was taught how to play it a few hours before my Scott Fischman and maybe Gank! Enter your mum for the O8 event next year!!

 
At Friday, 22 September, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

hehe Barney.I was amazed my Mum ever got into the game to be honest and never expected her to be playing most days!

YP,I'm not sure I could ever persuade my Mum to play live outside my kitchen but you never know..!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document