Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Smile ,it's only a poker game

Juice left a comment on my last post that mentioned boredom and burning out and it worries me a bit that even after a complete two week break from the game I still don't have much zest or drive to play.It hasn't stopped me from playing although it's mainly been turbo sng's and not my usual cash games.I was hoping that the cold cards and beats would have dried up a little after taking a break but ( no boring details) they seem to continue with no let up.I need to be careful not to let it affect my mindset too much.

At one point last night in an sng the only card that would have saved the villian on the river was a 3 to give them a runner runner gutshot and I just "knew" it would come and I would lose.In reality of course I didn't "know" anything but when times have been tough at the tables it'd easy to fall into the trap of constantly predicting doom and when the miracle nightmare card does fall it "proves" that the poker gods really are against me and I'm never going on a decent winning run again.

10 minutes at a Party cash table where my straight fell to a higher straight just brought a bitter smile.Nothing to do other than sook it up,deal with it and move on to the next hand.

I don't mean this to be a whiney poor me type of post or have anyone think I'm seeking sympathy because that aint how I roll ( to steal a turn of phrase from our US friends)but if I can vent some of my frustrations here and that means I can keep my game on track then I will.

Something I am trying to avoid is letting my poker results cloud my mood the next day.When Rangers lose I'm always on a downer for a few days and I'd noticed before I went my holidays that I was letting poker results affect me in a similar way.( on the otherhand when celt*c crash out the cup like they just have then that has the opposite effect hehe) That's partly why I've stopped updating stats every Sunday as it means I can try and keep my focus on ensuring my decisions are correct even if the results aren't currently reflecting that.

Actually reading the above back makes it seem like I'm losing hundreds and my roll is in danger and that's not the case.I suppose after earning the same $4k last year that I made the year before ,I really really want to push on and improve on that but poker profits cannot be forced and require the long run,a lot of grinding and a ton of resilience.

I see the bold Juicester is still giving me a hard time about my musical tastes!Pink was for Step A! I downloaded an ACDC compilation last night and I'm quite liking the Snow Patrol album and Paulo Nuntini one.See me? See street cred? Oh Yes!

Righty it's 10.30pm and I've not had a smoke or had my Aces cracked.Time to change all that....

5 Comments:

At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Blogger Klopzi said...

It can take a lot longer than 2 weeks to get the zest back, trust me. I'm always on tilt or on hiatus, it seems.

My advice? Take a small portion of the bankroll and jump up in stakes and give the bigger games a well-controlled run. Nothing like fear to put the fire back in your belly.

 
At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

snow patrol are a glorified embrace.

Dull!

If you want some cred go buy the long blondes album.

 
At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

p.s why not try learning a new poker style. It could also help your hold em game. Also why not try learning to play live? :-)

 
At Wednesday, 08 November, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

by style i mean a new form of poker. like razz or Omagha

 
At Thursday, 09 November, 2006, Blogger Juice said...

St johnstone? :-)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document