Friday, September 18, 2009

Donkey Call Alert!!

A quick 10 minute pain free visit to the dentist,celtc getting pumped in Europe and another winning night at the tables.Life is goot!

I was due to visit Mother Acorn last night but the last time I was over I hadn't shaved for a couple of days and she's now decided doesn't wish to see me unless I'm clean shaven.She's in her 60's now and this is her latest nonsense after her emails re what I should wear to my Uncle's recent Birthday bash which was held in a country pub.They go away to the US for a fortnight next week and hopefully I'll at least catch up with my Dad before then.

On the poker front things continue to go well for the moment.I did go 4-5 $22's without cashing but managed a couple of back to back wins to boost my roll nicely.Runs of 4-5 games or even slightly longer without cashing are almost everyday occurrences when playings sit n go games, however after previous downswings I'm very aware that 4-5 games can turn into 12-15 games or even hundreds of games without making a profit.If you touch fire as a child you wouldn't do it again and that may be part of the reason why I don't put in as much volume as I should.Every time I go a few cashless games I feel the heat of another possible downswing!

There's a great thread on P5's this week on emotions in poker.( makes a change from the usual crap about who the "Super illest sicko beast" is this week)
Emotional control at the tables is a huge part of the game and something I feel I deal with pretty well most of the time.I have only been 2-3 tabling recently though and I think that's partly to help me keep a lid on my emotions as well as allowing me to be able to pick up reads and play my best game.

Here's a wee hand I may have played like a donkey.I'm almost certain sng software such as Wiz would hate my call here and on reflection I think it's ok but marginal.Any thoughts/comments appreciated!

After paying my big blind of 400 I have 985 chips left.If I fold this hand I'll have 785 chips after paying the small blind in the next hand.If I shove ( assuming it's folded to me) the big blind will have odds to call and even if I somehow fold I'll have no fold equity against any of the other players when I finally do make my move.

The player raising seems to be a regular ( tight early/loose late in general) and his/her all in shove didn't seem incredibly strong.Of course a hand like 1010 totally dominates me here but I felt there were a lot of Broadway/high card combo's in his range and a lot of low-med pairs too, therefore I wouldn't be too far behind if I called with my 97 getting 3-1 to do so.I'd obviously have preferred 97 sooted or a far better hand to call off the remainder of my stack with , but as in life I can only play that hand that's dealt to me.Winning the hand gets me right back into contention and gives me much needed fold equity too.

Good enough reasons to call here or is it still essentially pure donkery to call here with 9 high? ( I've not hidden the result but obviously it's irrelevant)



***** Hand History for Game 8420407032 *****
NL Texas Hold'em $22 USD Buy-in Trny: 47481332 Level: 5 Blinds(200/400) - Monday, September 14, 00:32:03 BST 2009
Table Speed #1330156 (Real Money)
Seat 1 is the button
Total number of players : 6
Seat 4: Acornmn ( 1,385 )
Seat 5: AussieGizmo ( 3,920 )
Seat 3: biggio69 ( 2,220 )
Seat 7: huntress0 ( 4,385 )
Seat 1: lokko555 ( 4,060 )
Seat 8: what_A_RuN ( 4,030 )
Trny: 47481332 Level: 5
Blinds(200/400)
** Dealing down cards **
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Acornmn [ 9s 7c ]
AussieGizmo folds
huntress0 is all-In [4,385]
what_A_RuN folds
lokko555 folds
biggio69 folds
Acornmn is all-In [985]
** Dealing Flop ** [ 8d, 6h, Qd ]
** Dealing Turn ** [ Ts ]
** Dealing River ** [ Kh ]
Acornmn shows [ 9s, 7c ]a straight, Six to Ten.
huntress0 shows [ Kd, Qc ]two pairs, Kings and Queens.
huntress0 wins 3,000 chips from the side pot 1 with two pairs, Kings and Queens.
Acornmn wins 2,970 chips from the main pot with a straight, Six to Ten.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At Friday, 18 September, 2009, Blogger rubbish said...

Like you said, not much else to do other than shove.
But yes, it was donkish and I should know.

 
At Tuesday, 22 September, 2009, Blogger Littleacornman said...

:-))

 
At Saturday, 26 September, 2009, Blogger Nick said...

Here's my two penneth on the hand.

I think you got it right here - just the pot odds and size of your stack meant the call was the only realistic play here.

One thing that I've been trying to do is to base whether I call (or raise) in marginal situations on the quality of the table. I'm happy to go much lower against real weak players, who you know might fold when the odds are clearly there for a call.
For example - you have 700 chips (blinds 200/400), and you push, and the big blind folds. You also have more chance of doubling up against these guys with just better starting hand selection.

So, on the odd occasion, with the type of hand you put up, I might find a fold on a real weak, weak table.
But on a normal table, it's a call.

 
At Monday, 28 September, 2009, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks Nick.It was certainly a close one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document