Friday, September 17, 2010

Jump Around

Thanks to Rosie ,Weegem and Mr Origami for the advice re google reader.Funnily enough when I logged into it using my general google details I found I must have tried it at some point as I was subscribed to Rosie's old blog.I'm still not sure I can use it to read full blog posts at work without having to click through ( and risk trouble for looking at "gambling" sites) but I'll have another look nearer the Bloglines cut off date.

I'm only playing poker a few times a week these days.It's a far cry from the days when I'd come home from work and play for 3-4 hours per night.I've managed to bag a couple more wins at the $11 turbos on Party since my last post and hopefully I can motivate myself to put in some volume over the weekend and my roll can continue to go in the right direction.( taking into account the unavoidable swings) Of course the extra income I used to make from playing 300-400 sngs per month was useful, but I earn a decent wage and don't have huge outgoings so I can easily afford to enjoy myself playing video games instead of stressing over 25 buy-in downswings etc.

I've also realised that the truth is I find sng's boring up until the blinds hit level 5.Assuming I don't get sucked out on early, I find waiting at least 20 minutes to get to the bit where the money is made ( around the bubble) to be fairly tedious and perhaps the last few years of mindless net surfing have further reduced my patience and ability to sit through those first levels.I don't fancy Super turbo's ( 2-3 min blinds instead of 5 mins) as one of the main benefits of normal turbo's is the edge gained over the donks willing to stack off lightly before the blinds get very high.

That boredom with the game also means I'm almost always watching tv or surfing the net as I play and that probably isn't doing my game much good.Using a HUD means I have a good idea of the other players tendencies, but paying full attention would obviously be more profitable.Despite the majority of low stakes sngs players being fairly awful,the luck factor means sng's will always be about repeatedly pushing small edges and paying attention to every detail can only help.Maybe switching off the tv and playing at least six tables instead of just 3-4 would force me to focus more.

Away from the poker I was pleased that Rangers managed to get a 0-0 draw away to Manchester United in the Champions League.I did have to laugh at some of the negative press we received for a superb defensive display.If Mourinho does it with his teams he's a tactical genuis, but when Rangers "park the bus in front of goal" it's "anti-football".Hopefully we can playing more of an attacking style at home and rack up enough points to get at least 3rd place in the group.

On Wednesday night I took Step A out for a Mc'ds and tried ( and probably failed) to impart some wise words of wisdom.She did give me a bit of a shock when I asked her what she was doing later and she replied she would be looking for a "jump in".Being from the "Rita,Sue and Bob too" generation I thought a getting a "jump" meant shagging and I was relieved ( well somewhat) to discover she meant hanging about the local shops and asking someone to "jump in" and buy cigarettes!

Ok,thanks for reading.Back soon...

Oh and for Dudley...

2 Comments:

At Friday, 17 September, 2010, Blogger Wee Gem said...

Zag,
If the feed you are subscribed too publishes the full article then you should be OK - your browser will getting its data from Google Reader. It will go the feed source to get images though. I usually turn off images in my browser if I'm using Reader from work. And even though I think I'm safe, I never ever ever open any of Amatay's entries. Just in case.
Weegem

 
At Friday, 24 September, 2010, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Cheers WG.I'll work it out next week when bloglines finally gets the chop!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document