Monday, January 23, 2012

Nasty Poker Weekend

The poker lesson from the weekend was that if Dudley stops by your table and promises some run good expect the opposite! A few minutes after he had said hello my KK fell to JJ in a $27 Mtt and that was only the beginning of an almost surreal downswing that lasted all weekend.I played a load of Mtt's ranging from $5 to $55,some $7 and $30 hypers and overall lost over $900.Despite that awful run I made the money in one of the $25 hyper mtt's last night and when I got my 49k stack in the middle preflop with AKs v AJ for the world I'll admit my thoughts jumped ahead to finally making a decent cash and wiping out my losses.The Jack on the flop ended that idea!

I lost count of the number of times villains hit their crappy kicker,rivered me with the most unlikely of runner runner combinations and hit sets v my premium hands.It wasn't even just my hands that couldn't win.When three of us were all even stacked on the bubble of a $30 hyper the other two got it all in with AA v 1010.Of course they split the pot when the board came all spades and I was out shoving JJ into QQ on the next hand.

All that really matters is how I was playing and for the most part I felt I kept my head and played quite well.One mistake I did make was shoving Q6s from mid position with just under 10bb near the bubble of a $44 Mtt.I don't like just playing to cash in Mtt's but if I'd held on a for a bit longer I was pretty certain to make the money at least.

The positives are that I kept plugging away and didn't let the fear of losing stop me from loading up more tables and I certainly didn't lose any sleep either.Afterall if I'm going to step up and play $30 hypers and higher buy-in Mtt's there's no point getting upset at a pretty standard downswing.I'm hoping to have enough savings this year to pay the big bills ( council tax,Rangers season ticket and car insurance) without having to cash out any of my poker roll so I'll just have to take it on the chin,keep playing well and see where that takes me.

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, Blogger lightning36 said...

Dang -- that is one nasty little downswing. Let's hope for abrupt turnaround.

 
At Tuesday, 24 January, 2012, Blogger dD said...

eek .... eek !
obv the dudley run goot only works in person, meh :(

 
At Thursday, 26 January, 2012, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Cheers lightning.I hope so but all I can do is play well,rack up the volume and hope I run better!

To be fair Dudley I wasn't wearing my lucky poker top either and I'm sure I forgot to say hello to a lone magpie last Friday too.( not that I believe in superstitious shite like that!0

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document