Monday, December 04, 2006

Rushes/downswings

I wasn't going to post today but decided to get a few thoughts out there.Good for the soul and better for the mind.

I played four $11 turbo's last night and came 5th, 9th and 1st twice.The second win was quite funny because I'd been knocked out in 9th in the one before whilst playing with Miami Mark and I won the next one with just enough spare time to watch Miami Mark take down his.

I've never bought into the arguement that it'll be easier at higher limits because the play is more predictable but I was saved in my last sng by the fact some $11 sng players actually go beyond level one thinking.Since reading Lucko's blog I've been attempting far more steals from late position in turbo sng's, even although when it does fold round to me and I raise from the button/cut off, it feels like I'm being so obvious and transparent I'm bound to get a call.In reality the calls come a lot less frequently than I would expect but last night I raised to steal "Mr 6% flops seen"'s blind with 83 and got a call.The blinds were 200/400 and I'd raised 800 preflop.The flop came A 7 4 and I bet the same 800 again.Cue long pause before the villain typed "I think you have a better kicker" and folded.I was very tempted to show my bluff but my tight image is more important than trying to look smart at the table.The point ( yes there is one) is that at $5 level Mr Ace Rag would probably have not given my hand a second thought as he'd hit his ace.He would have called and I'd have been in a world of trouble.

On the same note I use Sharkcope frequently at the tables and it's almost always the better players that I try and steal from as I'm less likely to get looked up unless they have a hand.Of course if they're that good and I keep stealing I'm sure the top players ( not too many at my level) are capable of reraising with nothing and forcing me to rethink.

I've been rereading the NL section of Super System recently to try and absorb some more of Doyles wisdom.I found his belief in rushes very interesting because they are something I'm sure maths geeks and scientist would say cannot exist,yet as Doyle says, he has won millions playing his to the maximum.I started playing more sng's and less cash game back in September to try and minimize any damage from the downswing that I felt was enveloping me.Do downswings exist or did a few bad beats lead to the vicious circle of poor, weak plays and more losses? After 2 years experience I'm with Doyle ( I bet he's very relieved) and truly believe players can run hot or cold and that recognising either state and acting accordingly can only help a poker bankroll.

The above is not a reason to slip into tilt mode.I folded 85 twice last night and would have flopped monsters.Did I miss my poker rush? No,I simply played correctly and folded a mince hand.

Ok, Mrs A is working again tonight,I've had my ribs,chips n gravy and now it's.........poker time.

5 Comments:

At Monday, 04 December, 2006, Blogger WillWonka said...

Nice going on the two wins.

It's hard to say wha the difference between and $11 and $33 is. I would venture to say... not much. I haven't played too many $11s on Full Tilt.

 
At Tuesday, 05 December, 2006, Blogger slb159 said...

Best of luck at the tables. Keep up the good work.

 
At Tuesday, 05 December, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice going.

It's always nice when you raise to steal and an ace comes on the board.

Keep up the good work. We have today been linked with Gavin rae and Lionel Letizi. I know all about gavin Rae. What about the keeper?

Good luck at the tables and at Ibrox. Keep the blue flag flying high

 
At Tuesday, 05 December, 2006, Blogger Mark said...

Hey, Just linking to the blogs I read and added yours to my list. Making a start at this blogging thing and would appreciate a link back... I am at http://plan3tgongpoker.blogspot.com

Cheers, Mark

 
At Tuesday, 05 December, 2006, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Wonka: Thanks for the feedback.

Slb:Cheers Slb.Thanks for stopping by.

Derby:Letizi has only played a few games and has made a couple of howlers.His reputation seems to be that he can be brilliant one minute and drop a clanger the next.

Mark:I'll add your link ( and Slb159's ) shortly.All the best with your blog and at the tables.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document