Friday, July 20, 2007

Britbloggerment 18 on Sunday!



After dinner last night I logged on to the net and read that the Cloud was playing in a $100 sng as part of his diceman experiment.I headed to Stars to watch the man in action and although he didn't win it did get me thinking again about how we as players find our poker level.

I wonder how many players (both cash and sngs') beat a level comfortably for a reasonable period of time before moving up, and how many play where they do because that's just where they decided to start out.Is it down to skill or do peoples varying "gulp" limits come into play? It's probably a bit of both and some people will obviously give more priority to one aspect over another.In other words some may have the skills but would gulp at losing a buy-in at a level they could win at.


For example I began by playing $25nl and never really considered that I'd missed out on even lower levels like $5 and $10nl buy-ins.( $25 was lowest available on Pokerroom) I suppose having never played them I couldn't really say how these $5 and $10 tables play but I would be confident that anyone with the skill and discipline to win there should be able to step up to $25nl and win, so long as they have the roll and could deal with losing a few buy-in's in a row through the bad beats and variance nobody can avoid.

My record at $16 turbos is ok.My roi after nearly 300 games is 16% but I'm only making about $1 per game and I'd like to step up.Ideally I'd love to be a regular at the $55's and above,and although I know there will be more sharks and better players there,that's not what's stopping me playing at that level.These turbos are high variance and it's easy to go on a run of ten without cashing ( I find it very easy at times!).

Could I cope with dropping $600 after ten failed $55+$5 games without changing my game or tilting? First of all I'd need a decent run just to prove to myself that I could live with the players at that level and that takes many games in itself.Perhaps my game may not be good enough for that level or would need adapting beyond recognition.It's very easy to stay in a comfort zone and even then it's taken me almost 300 games to get there!


Anyways I only played a few wee $6 sng's last night with Rosie,Juice and Mr Edge and managed 2nd in one of them.I did see a man about a dog yesterday and a what a fine piece of solid blonde that dog turned out to be!

A fine smoke and I even sensibly hit the sack around 12.30am last night rather than make myself even more knackered by staying up too late.

I'm enjoying reading the big fuss in the papers over cabinet ministers who admit they smoked weed when they were younger.It's a subject I feel strongly about but most people know the arguements and I'm not going to rehash ( boom boom) them here.

I did however almost cry with laughter at Mathew Normans "comment" piece in The Independent,where he states that the last time he smoked skunk ( the wicked extra strong weed we should all be scared of)
he "became convinced that I was trapped inside the body of a bassett hound".Oh really, and may I have the name of your dealer, were the thoughts that sprung to mind.Next time I score some skunk weed I'm buying a muzzle in case I break my back trying to lick my nuts!

I did actually think his article was meant to be tongue in cheek, but I reckon his comment in particular that the famous potent "White Widow" strain of weed is "cocaine-sprinkled" just shows up the sheer ignorance of the man.

Righty I'm off to calm down and roll one up....

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document