Sunday, July 15, 2007

Rope-a-dope + Stats

"Floats like a butterfly, sting like a bee, his hands can't hit what his eyes can't see" is one of my favourite Muhammad Ali quotes.Ali's famous rope-a-dope tactics against Foreman in the Rumble in the Jungle were perfect for the fight and I loved his "That all you got George?" late in the fight just before he knocked him out in the 8th round.




For anyone who doesn't know or can't follow the link,the rope-a-dope idea is for the boxer to lie on the ropes of a boxing ring, conserve energy and allow the opponent to strike him repeatedly in hopes of making him tire and open up weaknesses to exploit for an eventual counter-attack.

Last night at a $100 nl 6 max Laddies table I had fun employing my own rope-a-dope tactic.The game was 5 handed when I joined, had a high average pot and vpip's like telephone numbers.There was one ego player who was blocking the chat box with repeated nonsense and proudly showing his cards after his big ( mostly donkey like) moves.Eventually the other three left and I got heads-up with him.

I was already down to $85 from my $100 and at first during the HU game he was reraising my every raise,I was missing flops when I called his raises, and I couldn't really bluff him because he was too stupid/drunk to lay a hand down.I could almost sense his elation at how easily he was running over the top of me ,yet I wasn't worried because I reckoned I would get my chance.It came when I picked up AK soooted and made a standard $4 raise.He of course reraised ,probably expecting me to fold.I made it $15 to go and when he reraised that, I reckoned I was ahead of his very wide range and went all in.He insta-called with AJ, my Ace high won on a ragged board and his stack went down faster than a turd falling from an aeroplane.

He rebought for another $30 and after several all ins from him,I picked up AK again and once more beat his AJ for the rest of his stack.When I typed "reload?" in the chat box he typed "you need the cash or something?" and left.I wish he'd stayed but it was still very satisfying.

I did stupidly blow $35 at Pokerroom chasing a flush at full ring $50 nl table.I need to avoid daft lapses like that and also keep my last hand/orbit syndrome in check better.

I also played four $16 turbo's ( 18 player) at Stars and won one of them,crashed out of two and bubbled in the last one after a most annoying suckout.

Ok,one last Ali quote before my updated stats.I thought this one was quite relevant to the poker too...

"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill."

Here are my current bankroll stats since the last update on July 1st.

Pokerstars: $218,Ladbrokes $1658,Pokerroom $487,Party $874,Full Tilt $1510.
Total $4747.( + $196 since July 1st)



Right just a quick reminder to register for todays Britbloggerment game at Stars.9pm bst ( 4pm in lobby under private).Password is donkament and it's open to all.Only $5.50!

I'm looking forward to it as usual.I'll also be watching the Brazil v Argentina Copa America final at 10pm.Hopefully it'll be a cracking final and I tip Brazil to win it by about three goals.( aint the edit post button great?!!)

Labels: , , , , ,

1 Comments:

At Sunday, 15 July, 2007, Blogger Juice said...

So the rope a dope is pretty much rocky balboas tactic in all his films! Sadly my own rope a dope style in teh bloggerment doesnt seem to work at all!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document