Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Sabbatical Thoughts

Well it's Tuesday and my head is still up my backside after hearing about the sabbatical deal my work are offering.I've gone from looking at 8 months off to 3 months and now reckon I've almost settled on 5-6 months.The revised plan is to use poker bankroll money to top up my wages for the first couple of months and my credit card for the other 3-4 months.It will only take up to about 6 months to clear the card debt when I go back to work and that's assuming I make no poker profit at all.

Of course hopefully I'll continue to make $$ at da pokers and I'll obviously play more when I'm off, but this way I'm not having to rely on it and won't be under any pressure to play because I have to.I have Nacho to look after so that rules out long "gap year" type trips but if the poker goes really well I may look at getting away for a couple of weeks to do something different.( like ironing or cleaning!)

I'm sure some poker players reading this will wonder why I don't commit to a proper playing schedule and try to make it as a pro.( or at least someone who makes a living from game).That may have appealed to me in my 20's, but I'm old enough and wise enough to realise that even if I made a roaring success of it I'd still be doing what amounts to a pretty lonely data entry job and also creating a hard to explain gap on my cv if it all went tits up.

On the poker front I enjoyed the RTR league game on Sunday night despite being card dead and eventually crashing out when my AK was rivered by KJ soooted.I played some $22's afterwards and ran horribly,only cashing in the last one.I took a break from the game last night and....watched a couple of training vids.

I've not mentioned Michael Jackson's recent death as I wasn't a big fan.I do recall the hype round the Thriller video and being allowed to stay up late as a 10 yr old to watch it.The Big Chap and I also used free corporate tickets to see him play at Wembley a few years back.Great seats and great weed as I recall.Is it just me or is the whole funeral/memorial thing turning into a pathetic circus?People whooping and waving their tickets around like they've just won a tour of Willy Wonka's factory just doesn't seem right to me.

Ok,thanks for reading.Back soon...

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

At Tuesday, 07 July, 2009, Blogger Unknown said...

Sabbatical sounds like a pretty good deal for you. Take some time off to cool your heels, play some cards, and enjoy some good ganja!!

 
At Thursday, 09 July, 2009, Blogger Maxwell Adams said...

Awesome post. I love the way you describe it as a data entry job.

On the rumour mill, a friend who plays professionally was offered an interview at a hedge fund, based on his poker record.

 
At Friday, 10 July, 2009, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Sounds like a plan Slick!

Cheers DF.Not chatted for ages.Hope all good with you and the Juicester.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document