Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Nine tabling micro turbs

I was too tired to play much poker on Monday night and last night I decided to have some fun at the tables.I opened nine $1.75,18 player turbos and messed about between tiling and cascading them.I think I played about 20 games in total and made a tiny profit overall.I quite enjoyed the fast paced nature of it all and managed to only time out a couple of times.

These days I wonder why I play poker.I feel like I'm torn between playing for pleasure and trying hard to make some decent ( for a low stakes player) profit for the year.

I did warm up for my nine tabling by playing an $11 turbo on Full Tilt.I'd been watching a cardrunners vid on sngs and the pro was talking about how people shoving all in early in sngs usually have a hand like AK/AQ.I had 99 on the button and when folded round to the cut-off,he duly shoved.I decided he wouldn't do that with AA/KK/QQ and that I'd take a coin flip and try to double.He showed AK and my nines held.It felt good to be right about his hand but I'm not sure that overall it was a wise call.

I did enjoy a situation which developed at one of my $1.75 tables when we reached the bubble and one of the players had been sitting out for most of the game.I had a marginal chip lead and began raising every pot when I was first to act or it was folded to me.

The blinds were high and I soon had double chipstack of my nearest rival and I continued to pound the table,raising almost any two cards.This prompted my fellow donks to get very annoyed, asking if I wanted the player sitting out to win and telling me I didn't know what I was doing.With a big stack on the bubble I'd have played the same way regardless of the sitting out player and eventually the most steamed up donk called light and crashed out 5th which I found highly amusing.

Just back after dinner at Mother Acorns where I had to laugh as my Mum whispered to me that she'd slipped £10 in my jacket pocket to pay for her sngicons subscription for the month!( don't tell Father Acorn!)

Ok,thanks for reading....

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

At Thursday, 07 February, 2008, Blogger Klopzi said...

I think every online poker player goes through phases of trying to have fun playing poker and trying to make money playing poker.

I think the sad truth is that much of the joy that one gets from the game is directly proportional to the stakes played.

Play for meaningful stakes and you're bound to really feel the highs and lows of the game.

I think most players get frustrated, angry, or bored when they play stakes that are too high (frustrated, angry) or too low (frustrated, bored).

You've been jumping around between SNGs, MTTs, and cash games for quite a while now. Why not choose one of these forms of poker and see just how far you can go? Try to play for stakes that won't cripple your bankroll but are large enough that you'd feel your heart beating every time you found yourself all-in.

Just my opinion...

 
At Thursday, 07 February, 2008, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks for the comment Klopzi,you made some fine points.

I seem to have fallen into playing sngs almost by accident.I would stick with sngs only but dem cash tables are just so juicy too!!

cheers,
Acorn

 
At Thursday, 07 February, 2008, Blogger Klopzi said...

Your Shark Scope stats are pretty impressive. I guess it's just a matter of tilt control and positive outlook.

As for me, I'm a little too results-oriented to withstand the evils of short-term variance; hence, the turbos kicked my ass.

 
At Friday, 08 February, 2008, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Thanks Klopzi.I kept your comment in mind last night at the tables and despite the continued beats ,it certainly helped my outlook.

 
At Tuesday, 12 February, 2008, Blogger Hotel @nyware said...

Like your story about the German Virgin Nein Nein-99

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document