Wednesday, March 03, 2010

Chop Chop Chop

I was at the Docs again on Monday and have another three week sick line.I've been doing my exercises and my right hand side feels far better.It was heaven to be able to go to sleep on that side again for the first time in months.My back is still sore but I think this will be my last 3 weeks off before looking at some kind of back to work plan.I've been doing my sums and I reckon I can just about afford to cut back to working 4 days per week if my bosses agree to it.

I'll also almost certainly be withdrawing about $2.5k from my poker roll over the next few months to cover the usual football season ticket,Council tax for the year,factor bill,car insurance and MOT+ car servicing.As it stands I'll still be left with around $3k online and that would be enough to pay all next years bigger bills, hopefully with plenty additional poker profit too.I may be a lazy git but part of my in-built work ethic is telling me to stop being so ridiculous,get back to the 5 day grind and be done with it.

Another part of me says that life is too short to spend most of it doing a job I don't enjoy and cutting down on my hours would make it far more tolerable.Of course the poker playing part of me says I should take the years salary on offer and give the poker a real go,however I'm not sure I have the discipline or temperament to play fulltime.I've been off for months now and have hit the felt less often than I usually do, although being on painkillers and feeling low have probably contributed to that lack of volume.Possibly knowing for sure that I had no monthly salary to fall back on would spur me on to grind out the hours but I don't know that for sure.

Anyways that wasn't what this post was supposed to be about! I've been bored out my head over the last few months and decided at the last minute tonight to head out to the local poker club and pay their £20 freezeout tourney.There were only 12 starters and I got off to whatever the opposite of a flyer is when I overplayed AJs on the first hand.We were shorthanded and after I settled down I found that playing live isn't quite as alien as it used to be for me.Online I always feel I have a handle on the usual pokery stuff like hand ranges,bet sizing,position etc but when playing live it was as as if it was all pure guesswork.

This time I was able to see bets which didn't make sense more easily and to be relaxed enough to take in more info and work through it to come to the right conclusion.

I don't recall many hands.The top 4 paid and when the 4th placed guy went out there was me,the other solid player and a guy who had hit two outers three times to amass a huge stack.I chipped up a little before we took a break at 11.45pm and when the bigstack offered an even 3 way chop me and the other guy were happy to take it and I walked away with £75 profit for my first ever live cash.( from a handful of games over the last few years)

Not much of a game report but that's all I've got for now.Back soon...

4 Comments:

At Wednesday, 03 March, 2010, Blogger Gavin said...

Nice one with the live cash mate. Regarding goingback to work most large employers will offer a phased return and flexibility where possible from what I've experienced so gl

 
At Wednesday, 03 March, 2010, Blogger Maxwell Adams said...

Well done with the Poker.

My Poker Pro mate has just quit as what he did doesn't work anymore. However, I've heard of a dude who's making lots at headsup games. He just uses player profiling tools to find bad players.

What is a factor bill?

Get well soon,

Donkey

 
At Thursday, 04 March, 2010, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Cheers Gavin + DF.

My work have mentioned a phased return.Will probably talk to them about that soon.

DF:Factor bill is paid for stuff like window cleaning and general maintenance of the block of flats I stay in.

 
At Sunday, 07 March, 2010, Blogger MAIR said...

Nice result live! well done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document