Monday, November 15, 2010

PLOnker

Pot Limit Omaha is still a bit of a mystery to me but that doesn't stop me messing around at the low stakes cash games. When I used to play NL Holdem cash games ( mainly 6 max $50 nl a few years back) I suffered from "last hand syndrome" which meant I always seemed to loosen up and play the last table orbit of the night like a complete donkey.With PLO my lack of knowledge means I no longer need to wait until the end of the night to pound the keyboard with my hooves.

I've never read a PLO book or paid much attention to strategy in forums and the only consolation is that many of my competitors behave like they've never seen a deck of cards let alone read a book.

I should also add that I had consumed more than a few herbal smokes before playing the hand below and that this was near the end of my session.Ok,so I look down to Qc Qs 6s 4c and although it's double suited, it's not the nuts if I flop a flush so I take a weak line and limp.On the flop I hit a set of Queens on a scary board ( 9s 8h Qh) and bet.When I'm raised I feel pretty sure the villain has J10 and I need the board to pair to win.My hoof hits the call button and when he leads on a seemingly blank turn I call again...

When the river comes and the board hasn't paired, the villain sticks in his last $9.93.I'm almost certain he has the J10 as part of his hand but the 3-1 odds convince me it's worth a call in case he doesn't have it.The moment the cards are revealed I see he does indeed have J10 and I instantly leave the table and curse myself for drawing like a donkey to an unlikely full house.

Before shutting down Stars I take a look at the cashier and to my great surprise I find I won the hand! I looked out the hand history from the Stars options page and laughed as I realised the flush draw I wasn't even aware of had hit on the river....

Perhaps if I had been alert enough to spot the flush draw on the turn then my play wouldn't have been as bad, but as it stands I reckon I'm this weeks Audley Harrison of the PLO tables!

PokerStars Game #52502198697: Omaha Pot Limit ($0.10/$0.25 USD) - 2010/11/11 1:15:54 WET [2010/11/10 20:15:54 ET]
Table 'Polites VI' 6-max Seat #6 is the button
Seat 1: 0legik ($19.84 in chips)
Seat 2: jan3594 ($12.73 in chips)
Seat 3: zagga ($25.79 in chips)
Seat 4: Schmucke ($2.40 in chips)
Seat 5: Rayno001 ($17.27 in chips)
Seat 6: TyTu^oIoPyTu ($14.04 in chips)
0legik: posts small blind $0.10
jan3594: posts big blind $0.25
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to zagga [Qc Qs 6s 4c]
zagga: calls $0.25
Schmucke: folds
Rayno001: calls $0.25
TyTu^oIoPyTu: folds
0legik: calls $0.15
jan3594: checks
*** FLOP *** [9s 8h Qh]
0legik: checks
jan3594: checks
zagga: bets $0.75
Rayno001: folds
0legik: raises $2.25 to $3
jan3594: folds
zagga: calls $2.25
*** TURN *** [9s 8h Qh] [3s]
0legik: bets $6.66
zagga: calls $6.66
*** RIVER *** [9s 8h Qh 3s] [7s]
0legik: bets $9.93 and is all-in
zagga: calls $9.93
*** SHOW DOWN ***
0legik: shows [Tc Js 8s Jh] (a flush, Jack high)
zagga: shows [Qc Qs 6s 4c] (a flush, Queen high)
zagga collected $38.23 from pot
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot $40.18 | Rake $1.95
Board [9s 8h Qh 3s 7s]
Seat 1: 0legik (small blind) showed [Tc Js 8s Jh] and lost with a flush, Jack high
Seat 2: jan3594 (big blind) folded on the Flop
Seat 3: zagga showed [Qc Qs 6s 4c] and won ($38.23) with a flush, Queen high
Seat 4: Schmucke folded before Flop (didn't bet)
Seat 5: Rayno001 folded on the Flop
Seat 6: TyTu^oIoPyTu (button) folded before Flop (didn't bet)

Not much else going on.I did speak to the Big Chap today and he's doing well and is out and about again which is great news.

Back soon...

6 Comments:

At Monday, 15 November, 2010, Blogger Wildcat said...

At those plo stakes there is very little bluffing, if they say they have it, they do.

When are you trying some hilo, I'll make sure I'm ready :D

 
At Monday, 15 November, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the title :)
but fuck me gently ! come play PLOmaha wi me ! ya silly bassa, lol
at least you got away with it, i seem to remember Mik not being quite so lucky .. heheheh

regards

dD

ps mind tell theBigChap i was asking !!

 
At Tuesday, 16 November, 2010, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As soon as I saw you'd written about PLO I knew Dudley would be on the case.

I've played a thousand or so hands of PLO over the past couple of weeks and it's a complete nutjob's game. Good fun but I reckon most normal people would go mental playing it for extended periods

 
At Tuesday, 16 November, 2010, Blogger Josie said...

btw, I went home last night and excitedly told SB about the game you found. He smiled at me, as though gazing at a simpleton and said 'mom, I played that game last week. It is cool though." Blah

 
At Tuesday, 16 November, 2010, Blogger Amatay said...

PLO is a fkin stupid game

 
At Wednesday, 17 November, 2010, Blogger Littleacornman said...

Hmm there appears to be a long waiting list at any PLO table I sit at.Strange as I've taken a look around the table and can't spot the fish.....

lol Josie,I did think that may be the case!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document