Monday, November 29, 2010

Stream of Bollocks...

I didn't make Dr Pauly's PLO game on Saturday night as I was too busy playing Black Ops instead.I'm sad enough to subscribe to a few good players on youtube who put out vids showing how to improve game play etc.Black Ops has a "theatre" mode which means all games are digitally recorded and can be viewed again from any camera angle or from any other player in the games point of view.I watched a vid the other day where one of the good players replayed a game from a bad players point of view and ripped ( or it it still dissed?!) on him for playing like a "noob".( new player for anyone not up to speed with their net slang) My first thought was "Don't tap the tank" as every poker player knows it's a bad idea to scare the fish as they provide us with our profits.

In video games there is no money at stake and although parts of the vid were quite funny ( the bad player trying to shoot down his own air support was great!)I thought the guy commentating was a bit guilty of forgetting it is only a damn video game! That thought also crossed my mind again today as I listened to Barry Greenstein on last weeks excellent 2+2 pokercast.He was talking about high stakes poker players and their obsession with money and related a conversation he heard where one player was telling the other he was going Scuba diving only to me met with the reply "But how do you make money doing that?".

Now I'm only a low stakes hobby playing donkey but I recall when the s-man used try and get me to play Call of Duty 4 and my reply was that even if I got good at it I couldn't see it paying any bills! It's all about balance and having a healthy attitude, but I sometimes feel that only truly obsessing about something will bring success.I recall reading ( one of Malcolm Gladwells books I think) that rather than natural talent it's really 10000 hours of practice which helps one excel in any particular skill or craft so perhaps there's something in my obsessing theory.

It also crossed my mind that it would be quite amusing to watch a genuine all cards revealed video made by a terrible player and may even help in terms of understanding their ranges and why they may play a particular hand a certain way.I say that because I'm forever reading forum posts where the OP ( original poster)assumes the villain in a hand will think like the OP does and will only call,raise or fold correctly.( as the OP sees it) I was reminded of that playing a little Rush poker with my Very Josie winnings at the weekend.I raised with KK and faced a shove from a fish with 1/2 a buy in.Hmmmm JJ+ AQ+ maybe? Now I wouldn't shove there with AQ but I'm wise enough to know other players would and what do you know.....he showed Q3 off suit!

Ok,I usually write down a few words and work from there when writing a post, but tonights was more a of stream of consciousness affair.Apologies if it was complete bollocks! I'm in a hurry to get my dinner and walk Nacho as the worlds second biggest ( just behind Burnley v Bastard Rovers* )football derby starts in 1/2 hr and I can't wait to see how champions Barcelona do against "The Special One's" Real Madrid team.Of course I still wouldn't swap Messi or Ronaldo for Lee McCulloch....

*Obviously Rangers v Celtic is the number one derby game!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

blog search directory Untitled Document